What Are the Focus Areas in the Course Algorithms and Complexity?

In summary, the conversation discusses the course Algorithm and Complexity and the need to choose a specific field to focus on. The options are Computer Science, Computational Geometry, and Cryptography. The conversation also includes questions about the subjects and the knowledge required for each one. The expert summarizes that Algorithm is about creating algorithms and Complexity is about determining their efficiency. In Computational Geometry, combinatorial theorems and triangularizations are studied, while Cryptography involves the RSA system and number theory.
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

I take the course Algorithm and Complexity and I have to choose one of the fields Computer Science(the operations of a computer), Computational Geometry or Cryptography.

Could you give some information about these fields?? (Wondering)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
At the course Algorithm and complexity the prof told me that I have to chose on which of the above fields I want to focus.

Could you tell me what these subjects/fields are about?? (Wondering)

What knowledge is required at each one?? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
At the course Algorithm and complexity the prof told me that I have to chose on which of the above fields I want to focus.

Could you tell me what these subjects/fields are about?? (Wondering)

What knowledge is required at each one?? (Wondering)

I would expect that Algorithm is about creating algorithms for tasks like finding the shortest path in a graph, and that Complexity is about figuring out how expensive a given algorithm is. (Mmm)

I like Serena said:
I would expect that Algorithm is about creating algorithms for tasks like finding the shortest path in a graph, and that Complexity is about figuring out how expensive a given algorithm is. (Mmm)

What algorithms can be created in these fields?? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
What algorithms can be created in these fields?? (Wondering)

Well, I guess for instance an algorithm to add a node to a binary tree that is as leftmost as possible, and that is at least at level $l$.
Like in http://mathhelpboards.com/computer-science-58/add-node-13307.html. (Wasntme)

Hi,

I think the better way to know this is asking professors but,

Probably the course Algorithms and complexity it's not about creating algorithms, you can study there Turing machines, complexity classes (in time and space), cook's conjecture and some other theorems related to this.

In Computational geometry you can study for example combinatorial theorems over polytopes, Delauny's triangularizations and Grobner bases.

In Criptography, I just know the basic RSA system which is based in the CRT and little's fermat theorem, so I can't tell you much more.

Related to What Are the Focus Areas in the Course Algorithms and Complexity?

1. What is an algorithm?

An algorithm is a step-by-step procedure or set of instructions for solving a problem or completing a task. It is often represented as a flowchart or pseudocode and can be implemented in various programming languages.

2. What is the difference between time complexity and space complexity?

Time complexity refers to the amount of time it takes for an algorithm to run, while space complexity refers to the amount of memory or storage space required for an algorithm to run. Both are important measures of an algorithm's efficiency.

3. How is the complexity of an algorithm determined?

The complexity of an algorithm is typically determined by analyzing the number of operations or steps it takes for the algorithm to complete its task, as well as the amount of memory or space it requires. The Big O notation is commonly used to express the complexity of an algorithm.

4. What is the purpose of analyzing algorithm complexity?

Analyzing algorithm complexity helps us understand how efficient an algorithm is and how it will perform as the size of the input data increases. This knowledge can help us choose the best algorithm for a given problem and optimize code for better performance.

5. Can two algorithms have the same time complexity but different space complexity?

Yes, it is possible for two algorithms to have the same time complexity but different space complexity. This is because an algorithm's time and space complexities are independent of each other and can vary depending on the specific implementation and data structures used.