What are the final velocities of two balls after an elastic head-on collision?

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework problem involving a perfectly elastic head-on collision between two balls of different masses and initial velocities. Using the derived equation from a provided resource, the final velocities for both balls are calculated to be -13.6 m/s and -15.6 m/s, respectively. It is noted that the second velocity calculation has a sign error, which is corrected to satisfy both conservation of momentum and energy.
Arooj

Homework Statement

A 2.0 kg ball is traveling east at 8.0 m/s when it has a perfectly elastic head-on collision with a 3.0 kg ball traveling west at 10.0 m/s. What are the final velocities of the two balls?

Homework Equations

http://www.nvcc.edu/home/tstantcheva/231files/G09_hw.pdf

I used the derived equation from page 4.

The Attempt at a Solution

For the 2.0 kg ball I got -13.6 m/s.
For the 3.0 kg ball I got -15.6 m/s.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Please show your work. The new speeds for both balls are faster than either initial speed. Elastic collisions conserve energy. Your speeds indicate energy was somehow created.

vf1 = ((m1)(v1) + m2((2*v2) - v1)) / m1 + m2
vf1 = (16 + 3(-20 - 8))/5
vf1 = -13.6 m/s

vf2 = v1 + vf1 - v2
vf2 = 8 + -13.6 - 10
vf2= -15.6 m/s

I'm assuming my problem is from setting the values of the speeds in the opposite direction to negative, but I thought this must be done?

You have a sign error for the second velocity. What is -v2?

Ah I see what I did wrong, v2 = 4.4 , and v1 = -13.6, substituting them into the conservation of momentum equation yields 14 = 14.

You are right. Since you're checking momentum, you should also check energy as well. There are two conservation theorems to satisfy.

Related to What are the final velocities of two balls after an elastic head-on collision?

What is a head on elastic collision?

A head on elastic collision is a type of collision between two objects in which both objects have the same mass and speed, but are traveling in opposite directions. The collision is considered elastic because the kinetic energy and momentum of the objects are conserved.

What is the difference between an elastic and inelastic collision?

Unlike inelastic collisions, which result in a loss of kinetic energy, elastic collisions are characterized by a conservation of kinetic energy and momentum. This means that after a head on elastic collision, the objects involved will continue to move, with no loss of energy.

How is momentum conserved in a head on elastic collision?

Momentum is conserved in a head on elastic collision because the total momentum of the system before and after the collision remains the same. This is due to the fact that the objects involved have equal mass and opposite velocities, resulting in a zero net momentum before and after the collision.

What is the formula for calculating the velocities after a head on elastic collision?

The formula for calculating the velocities after a head on elastic collision is: v1 = (m1 - m2)v1i / (m1 + m2) and v2 = 2m1v1i / (m1 + m2), where v1i is the initial velocity of the first object and m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects.

What are some real-life examples of head on elastic collisions?

There are many real-life examples of head on elastic collisions, such as a game of pool, where the balls collide with each other and bounce off in opposite directions with no loss of energy. Another example is a game of billiards, where the cue ball collides with the other balls on the table, causing them to move in different directions with no loss of energy. Another example is two cars colliding head on, where the kinetic energy and momentum of the cars are conserved, resulting in a zero net momentum after the collision.