What are the equations for tension and acceleration in a pulley system?

In summary, the problem involves a light cable passing over a frictionless pulley attached to the ceiling, with a 10 kg block hanging at one end and an 8 kg block connected by a light cable to a 4 kg block hanging at the other end. The task is to construct force diagrams for each block, write Newton's second law for the vertical motion of each block, and solve for the acceleration of the blocks and the tension in the cables. The equations are solved by assuming that all accelerations are equal in magnitude and that the tension forces on opposite sides of the pulley are equal. The equations must be carefully checked for correct plus and minus signs.
irishrock724

Homework Statement

A light cable passes over a frictionless pulley attached to the ceiling. A 10 kg block hangs at one end of the cable and an 8 kg block connected by a light cable to a 4 kg block hangs at the other end. a) Construct a force diagram for each block. b) Write Newton's second law for the vertical motion of each block (choose the axes so that positive acceleration is in the same direction for each block). c) Solve these equations to determine the acceleration of the blocks and the tension in the cables.

Homework Equations

F = ma
T - w = ma
Ab + Ac = -Aa

The Attempt at a Solution

Assume block a is 10 kg, block b is 8 kg, and block c is 4 kg

Force Diagrams:

^ ^ ^
| Ta | Tb | Tc
. . .
| w | w | w
v v v

I am fairly confident this is right

Newtons 2nd Law:
Fneta = Ta - Wa = Ta - MaG = MaAa
Fnetb = Tb - Wb = Tb - MbG = MbAb
Fnetc = Tc - Wc = Tc - McG = McAc

I am pretty sure these equations are right, it just seems that when applying them to part C, I continually get 0 for the acceleration.

Acceleration and Tension:
Ta = Tb + Tc
-Aa = Ab + Ac

Ta = MaG + MaAa
Tb = MbG + MbAb
Tc = McG + McAc
MaG + MaAa = MbG + MbAb + McG + McAc

And then I get stuck trying to substitute in acceleration. I know I am going about the problem wrong in someway, but after looking at countless examples, I can't figure out where my mistake is. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
irishrock724 said:

Homework Statement

A light cable passes over a frictionless pulley attached to the ceiling. A 10 kg block hangs at one end of the cable and an 8 kg block connected by a light cable to a 4 kg block hangs at the other end. a) Construct a force diagram for each block. b) Write Newton's second law for the vertical motion of each block (choose the axes so that positive acceleration is in the same direction for each block). c) Solve these equations to determine the acceleration of the blocks and the tension in the cables.

Homework Equations

F = ma
T - w = ma
Ab + Ac = -Aa

The Attempt at a Solution

Assume block a is 10 kg, block b is 8 kg, and block c is 4 kg

Force Diagrams:

^ ^ ^
| Ta | Tb | Tc
. . .
| w | w | w
v v v

I am fairly confident this is right

Newtons 2nd Law:
Fneta = Ta - Wa = Ta - MaG = MaAa
Fnetb = Tb - Wb = Tb - MbG = MbAb
Fnetc = Tc - Wc = Tc - McG = McAc

I am pretty sure these equations are right, it just seems that when applying them to part C, I continually get 0 for the acceleration.
a and c are ok (but watch your plus and minus signs), but b is not. Block b has, in addition to its weight, two tension forces acting on it: Tb up and Tc down.
Ta = Tb + Tc
why do you say this? Ta must equal Tb
-Aa = Ab + Ac
why do you say this? All accelerations are equal in magnitude, since the blocks all move together at the same rate.
Ta = MaG + MaAa
Tb = MbG + MbAb
Tc = McG + McAc
MaG + MaAa = MbG + MbAb + McG + McAc

And then I get stuck trying to substitute in acceleration. I know I am going about the problem wrong in someway, but after looking at countless examples, I can't figure out where my mistake is. Thanks
you MUST draw a FBD of each block, and identify all forces acting. Note that tensions on either side of the pulley must be equal, and the accelerations must be equal.

Ta = Tb + Tc

"why do you say this? Ta must equal Tb"

If Ta and Tb are equal, and Ta is on one side of the pulley, while Tb and Tc are on the other, how can Ta and Tb be equal? If the tension forces on opposite sides must be equal, thus meaning that Ta would have to be equal to the tension force on the other side, or Tb + Tc?

If I understand your problem correctly, you have block A hanging from a cable on one side of the pulley; the cable wraps around the pulley, makes a 180 degree U-turn, and block B is connected at the other end; then another cable is attached below block B, and block C hangs from that lower cable. Correct?

If so, you should first note two things: The tension in a continuous cable wrapped around a light frictionless pulley is the same on both sides of the pulley. This means Ta =Tb. This says nothing about Tc, which is a different cable. It is only the tension in the cable wrapped around the pulley that is the same.

Secondly, since all the blocks are connected together, they must move together at the same rate. This implies that the magnitudes of Aa, Ab, and Ac, must be the same (call their magnitudes each equal to "A").

So draw your FBD's of each block. Your first equation is correct, with the acceleration Aa upward. Your third equation is correct, but don't forget that the acceleartion Ac is a negative term (Ac = -A). Now draw the FBD of Block B, noting that there are two tensile forces and its weight acting on it. Solve the resulting equations, unless, without a figure, I have misunsderstood the problem, please clarify if I have.

Related to What are the equations for tension and acceleration in a pulley system?

What is tension force?

Tension force is a type of force that occurs when an object is pulled in opposite directions by a rope, string, or cable. It is the force that is transmitted through the rope or cable when it is pulled taut.

How do pulleys affect tension force?

Pulleys are used to change the direction of the applied force, which in turn affects the tension force. If the direction of the force is changed, the amount of tension force will also change.

Can the number of pulleys affect tension force?

Yes, the number of pulleys can affect tension force. The more pulleys there are, the more the force is distributed, resulting in a smaller tension force.

What is the relationship between tension force and the angle of the rope?

The tension force is directly proportional to the angle of the rope. This means that as the angle of the rope increases, the tension force also increases.

How can tension force with pulleys be calculated?

Tension force can be calculated using the formula: T = (W / n) x cosθ, where T is the tension force, W is the weight of the object, n is the number of ropes supporting the object, and θ is the angle of the rope.