What are the elements of the strain tensor for a wide beam under bending?

In summary, the strain tensor for a wide beam can be described as: the beam contracts above the x-axis and expands below it, the material is not free to expand or contract in the lateral z direction, and the strain is reduced by a factor of 1-{\nu ^2}. Hope this helps.
lewis198
If I have a wide beam, parallel to the x axis, with its COM at the origin, then I want it to curve about the y axis, what would the elements of the strain tensor be?

I have come to the conlusion that the beam would, for example,contract above x-axis and expand below it. But I don't know how to describe strain relative to the y and z axes, and then how to translate this knowledge to the strain tensor.

Thanks for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
lewis198 said:
If I have a wide beam, parallel to the x axis, with its COM at the origin, then I want it to curve about the y axis, what would the elements of the strain tensor be?

I have come to the conlusion that the beam would, for example,contract above x-axis and expand below it. But I don't know how to describe strain relative to the y and z axes, and then how to translate this knowledge to the strain tensor.

Thanks for your time.

"wide beam" to me sounds like a shell.

Reissner-Mindlin shell theory is what is used in Finite Element Analysis. They neglect the higher order terms but there is a lot of information on the subject.

If you are more interested in analytical theory that is analogous to standard beam theory, then I believe "Kirchhoff-Love" would be what you are looking for.

Hope that helps,

Hello Lewis, you really need to supply more information.

Wide beam? : What sort of wide beam?

Wide flanged I beams are available for increased bending resistance and their properties are tabulated.

There are code requirements and specifications for wide RC beams.

I am going to assume a simple homogeneous rectangular wide beam of height h in the y direction and breadth b in the z direction.

Yes you need also to specify the z direction - wide beams are 3 dimensional.

A beam is considered wide when

b >> h say 5 times or more.

Under these conditions the material is not free to expand or contract in the lateral z direction under bending along the x direction about the y direction. (note I said direction not axis)

In particular εz ≈ 0 at z=0 so

[tex]{\varepsilon _z} = \frac{1}{E}[{\sigma _z} - \nu \left( {{\sigma _x} + {\sigma _y}} \right) \approx 0[/tex]

Since h is small σy ≈ 0 So

[tex]{\sigma _z} = \nu {\sigma _{{x_{z = 0}}}}[/tex]

Thus

[tex]{\varepsilon _x} = \frac{{1 - {\nu ^2}}}{E}{\sigma _x} = \frac{{1 - {\nu ^2}}}{{E{I_z}}}{M_z}y[/tex]

In general the strain is reduced by a factor of [itex]{1 - {\nu ^2}}[/itex]

Edit
So you can see that the change is the insertion a modifying constant into your strain tensor, I will leave you to do this since you haven't provided any notation.
You need to be careful here since my strain is engineering strain, not tensor strain, which is a factor of 1/2 different.

You should also note that the sideways distribution may also depend upon the support conditions.

Last edited:

Related to What are the elements of the strain tensor for a wide beam under bending?

1. What is a beam bending strain field?

A beam bending strain field refers to the distribution of strain, or deformation, across a beam when it is subjected to a bending force. It is a measure of the amount of deformation at different points along the beam and is influenced by the beam's material properties, geometry, and applied load.

2. How is a beam bending strain field measured?

A beam bending strain field can be measured using strain gauges, which are sensors that detect and quantify the deformation of a material. These gauges can be attached to the surface of a beam and give a measurement of the strain at that specific point. By placing multiple strain gauges along the beam, the entire strain field can be mapped out.

3. What factors affect the beam bending strain field?

The beam bending strain field is influenced by several factors, including the material properties of the beam (such as elasticity and strength), the geometry of the beam (such as its length, cross-sectional area, and shape), and the magnitude and location of the applied load. Other factors, such as temperature and moisture, can also affect the strain field.

4. Why is the beam bending strain field important?

The beam bending strain field is important because it provides valuable information about the structural integrity of a beam. By understanding the distribution of strain, engineers can assess the potential for failure and make necessary design modifications to ensure the beam can withstand the applied load without experiencing excessive deformation or failure.

5. How is the beam bending strain field used in engineering applications?

The beam bending strain field is used in engineering applications in several ways. It is used to design and optimize structures to withstand expected loads, to monitor and predict the performance of beams over time, and to diagnose and troubleshoot problems in existing structures. It is also used in research and development to better understand the behavior of different materials and beam designs under bending forces.