What are the effects of eddy currents in an inductor core?

In summary, the conversation discusses the effects of eddy currents on inductor core. Eddy currents are unwanted currents that create loss in the core and can affect the Q factor, which in turn can change the resonant peak of the inductor. However, the frequency itself remains independent of resistance. While eddy currents may affect the inductance to some extent, their impact is minimal due to their small size compared to surface currents.
Landru
I've been googling around, and I can't seem to find a straight answer to this:

Do eddy currents generated within an inductor core change the inductance, the impedance, or both?

My reason for asking is to understand whether more or less eddy currents will change the resonant peak of the inductor, the Q factor, or both.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Landru said:
Do eddy currents generated within an inductor core change the inductance, the impedance, or both?
My understanding is that the eddy currents create a loss (RI2, where I is the eddy current and R the resistance along the current flow).

Eddy currents are unwanted currents within the core. Since they encounter higher resistance in the iron core than they would with ordinary conductors the Q will be lowered. The Q will always affect the resonant peak no matter what the cause of the Q changing.

Averagesupernova said:
Eddy currents are unwanted currents within the core. Since they encounter higher resistance in the iron core than they would with ordinary conductors the Q will be lowered. The Q will always affect the resonant peak no matter what the cause of the Q changing.

When you say a change in Q will always effect the resonant peak, are you saying that the frequency itself will change?

My understanding is that resistance effects the Q factor, but that the frequency is independent of resistance:

88e615968cc2ae93fc36fd56fccad3cb.png

So maybe my question is: do eddy currents change the value of L at all?

One way eddy currents could affect the resonant frequency is the properties of the core could change enough due to the heating. How much I do not know.

To first order, no. This is because eddy cuurents (EC's) at the surface of the core flow in phase with the coil current while the induced emf due to inductance is out of phase. Reistive and induvtive effects are separate. That's why coil impedance is a useful concept--the real part is resistive (EC) while the imaginary part is inductive. The reason I said 'to 1st order" is that EC's deep down are shifted in phase and so could affect inductance--but they are exponentially smaller so the effect is small.

Related to What are the effects of eddy currents in an inductor core?

1. What are eddy currents?

Eddy currents are circular electric currents that are induced in a conductive material, such as metal, by a changing magnetic field. They flow in closed loops and can generate heat and magnetic fields.

2. How do eddy currents affect inductor cores?

Eddy currents in an inductor core can cause energy loss and reduce the efficiency of the inductor. They can also create unwanted magnetic fields that can interfere with the desired magnetic field produced by the inductor.

3. Can eddy currents be eliminated in an inductor core?

Eddy currents can be reduced by using laminated or insulated core materials. These materials have thin layers of insulation between them, which disrupts the flow of eddy currents and reduces their effects on the inductor.

4. How do eddy currents impact the performance of inductors?

Eddy currents can cause the inductor to heat up, which can lead to power loss and decrease its efficiency. They can also create unwanted magnetic fields, which can affect the inductor's ability to store and release energy.

5. Are there any benefits to eddy currents in inductor cores?

In some applications, eddy currents can be useful. They can be intentionally induced in inductor cores to provide additional damping and reduce unwanted noise or vibrations. However, in most cases, eddy currents are considered undesirable and steps are taken to minimize their effects.