What are the effects of boiling in a heat exchanger?

In summary, the conversation discusses a heat exchanger design using water as the coolant and the potential for boiling to occur at high temperatures. The person is seeking advice on the possible consequences of boiling in the coolant flow and how to prevent it. They mention the system being an open one and the potential for backpressure due to dynamic effects. The purpose of the heat exchanger is for active cooling, but they are initially using water as a less combustible option. They also mention the possibility of using a back pressure to prevent the coolant from boiling off completely. The conversation ends with a mention of the Leidenfront effect as a potential issue to consider.
TheHypnotoad
I'm working on a heat exchanger design, with water as the coolant. I'm running an analysis on this thing, and it looks like it's going to get hot. Like, 900F hot. So, of course this is going to be steam by the time it reaches the outlet. I'm really not a fluids kind of girl, but it's on me to tell the experimental engineer whether this test is going to end in tears, and if it's going to be a problem, I want to try to talk him into using a different coolant.

So, my question for forum! What happens to a heat exchanger when boiling occurs in the coolant flow? Should I be expecting sudden pressure increases? Losses in the maximum mass flow rate? Exploding heat exchangers?

Some more information:
-Fluid enters at around 200psi
-Coolant is not immediately vented at the outlet, but enters a manifold and is piped a few feet off to be vented

Thanks for your input!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF

Sounds like you are saying this is an open system - the coolant gets discarded? The pressure in the system will be very low since it is open, and any backpressure will be due to dynamic effects (the steam rushing out at probably supersonic speed) unless there are valves or other devices to create backpressure.

What you're describing is a boiler - turning water into steam is the main function. But whether you want steam or not depends on what the coolant is meant to do after it leaves the boiler. If you don't want steam, you'll need to increase the coolant flow rate until it can remove the heat without boiling.

Seems like an odd way to run a heat exchanger, but without knowing more details it is tough to know why you are doing this.

russ_watters said:
Welcome to PF

Sounds like you are saying this is an open system - the coolant gets discarded? The pressure in the system will be very low since it is open, and any backpressure will be due to dynamic effects (the steam rushing out at probably supersonic speed) unless there are valves or other devices to create backpressure.

What you're describing is a boiler - turning water into steam is the main function. But whether you want steam or not depends on what the coolant is meant to do after it leaves the boiler. If you don't want steam, you'll need to increase the coolant flow rate until it can remove the heat without boiling.

Seems like an odd way to run a heat exchanger, but without knowing more details it is tough to know why you are doing this.

Thanks for the response, Russ! You're right, it's an odd way to run a real heat exchanger . . . in reality, it's going to be an active cooling system. Eventually, they'll run the system with a combustible gas as the coolant, and they'll burn the gas to heat the panel. But for an initial test, they wanted to run something less combustible, like water. So yes, it's a bit of an odd setup to start out.

So it sounds like all that will happen here is as the water boils, the steam will rush out and I will be left with no coolant, unless a back pressure is applied, right? You asked if this was a boiler, but really, the point is to keep the thing under a certain temperature, and if I have no coolant, that's not going to fly. Sounds like the test engineer and I have some talking to do. . . .

And thanks for the welcome :) looks like a neat little forum around here :approve:

You might have troubles with the Leidenfront effect, take it into consideration.

Related to What are the effects of boiling in a heat exchanger?

What is boiling in a heat exchanger?

Boiling in a heat exchanger is a process in which a liquid is heated to its boiling point and converted into vapor. This vapor then passes through a heat exchanger, where it transfers heat to another fluid, typically through a series of tubes or plates. The heated fluid is then used for various industrial or commercial purposes.

How does boiling occur in a heat exchanger?

Boiling in a heat exchanger occurs when the temperature of the liquid in the heat exchanger reaches its boiling point. This causes the liquid to vaporize and form bubbles, which rise to the top of the heat exchanger. As the bubbles rise, they release heat, which is absorbed by the surrounding fluid. This process continues until all of the liquid has been converted into vapor.

What are the benefits of using boiling in a heat exchanger?

Boiling in a heat exchanger offers several benefits, including increased efficiency and faster heat transfer. By converting the liquid into vapor, the heat exchanger can transfer more heat in a shorter amount of time. Additionally, boiling creates a large surface area for heat transfer, allowing for more efficient energy exchange.

What are some common types of heat exchangers used for boiling?

Some common types of heat exchangers used for boiling include shell and tube heat exchangers, plate heat exchangers, and spiral heat exchangers. These designs offer different levels of heat transfer and efficiency, depending on the specific needs of the application.

What factors can affect the boiling process in a heat exchanger?

Several factors can affect the boiling process in a heat exchanger, such as the type of fluid being heated, the heat transfer surface area, the rate of flow, and the temperature difference between the two fluids. Other factors, such as the design and materials of the heat exchanger, can also impact the efficiency and effectiveness of the boiling process.