What are the differences between h and d in pressure/fluid concepts?

• Thread starter indietro
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Concepts
In summary, the conversation discusses the differences between h and d in equations for hydrostatic pressure, the inclusion of atmospheric pressure in calculations, and steps to solve pressure/fluid problems. The main equations mentioned are Bernoulli's, Poiseuille's, and the equivalent of Ohms Law. The conversation also mentions the use of reference points and the concept of static pressures.
indietro

Homework Statement

so i just had some questions:
1. is there a difference between h and d?
sometimes i see P = [tex]\rho[/tex]gh and other times P = [tex]\rho[/tex]gd
is there a difference? because if d=depth while h=height, would d always be a neg number?

2. for hydrostatic pressure, i was taught: P = Patm + [tex]\rho[/tex]gd, but i notice when I look at other's questions they will leave out the atmospheric pressure. Is there a difference? why do they leave it out?

3. Is there some kind of "steps" i can follow when assessing a pressure/fluid problem to decide what method to use to solve it?
for example, if it is a U-tube problem, look to use the concept that at the same level pressure is equal in the two arms so P1 = P2...

thanks in advance for all your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
indietro said:

Homework Statement

so i just had some questions:
1. is there a difference between h and d?
sometimes i see P = [tex]\rho[/tex]gh and other times P = [tex]\rho[/tex]gd
is there a difference? because if d=depth while h=height, would d always be a neg number?

2. for hydrostatic pressure, i was taught: P = Patm + [tex]\rho[/tex]gd, but i notice when I look at other's questions they will leave out the atmospheric pressure. Is there a difference? why do they leave it out?

3. Is there some kind of "steps" i can follow when assessing a pressure/fluid problem to decide what method to use to solve it?
for example, if it is a U-tube problem, look to use the concept that at the same level pressure is equal in the two arms so P1 = P2...

thanks in advance for all your help!

1) Not really if the surface is the reference point, then d is used, if the bottom is used as the reference, then h is used. Pressure of a hydrostatic column should always be positive.

2) Depends on the problem. Often the P is assumed to be relative to one atmosphere, but in an open system where atmospheric pressure is present, the absolute pressure should include the barometric. The difference is captured in the terminology, the latter is absolute and the former gauge pressure.

3) Unless the physics is fairly advanced, the eqns that most often come into play are Bernoulli's, Poiseuille's and the equivalent of Ohms Law where P=flow*resistance. IIf the fluid isn't moving, it usually is a simple matter of stacking and equating static pressures. I am scarcely a fluid dynamicist, but these are the types of problems that come up in physiology leastways. Hope it is of some help.

yes, that was very helpful thank you!

Related to What are the differences between h and d in pressure/fluid concepts?

What is pressure?

Pressure is the force applied per unit area of a surface. It is typically measured in units of Pascals (Pa) or pounds per square inch (psi). This force can be caused by a variety of factors, such as weight, gravity, or fluid motion.

What is the difference between absolute and gauge pressure?

Absolute pressure is the total pressure exerted on a surface, including atmospheric pressure. Gauge pressure, on the other hand, only measures the difference between the total pressure and atmospheric pressure. This means that absolute pressure will always be greater than gauge pressure.

How is pressure related to depth in a fluid?

In a fluid, pressure increases with depth. This is because the weight of the fluid above a certain depth exerts a force on the fluid below it, leading to an increase in pressure. This relationship is described by the equation P = ρgh, where P is pressure, ρ is the density of the fluid, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the depth.

What is Archimedes' principle?

Archimedes' principle states that the buoyant force on an object submerged in a fluid is equal to the weight of the fluid that the object displaces. This explains why objects float or sink in fluids and is the basis for many applications, such as ships and hot air balloons.

What is Bernoulli's principle?

Bernoulli's principle describes the relationship between the speed of a fluid and its pressure. It states that as the speed of a fluid increases, its pressure decreases and vice versa. This principle is the basis for the lift generated by airplane wings and the operation of many fluid-based systems, such as carburetors.