What Are the Degrees of Freedom in Lorenz and Columb Gauges?

In summary, there are two types of gauge in electromagnetic potential - the coulomb gauge and the lorentz gauge. In coulomb gauge, there is one constraint where the divergence of A is equal to zero. In lorentz gauge, there is one 4-dimensional constraint where space and time are considered equal. This removes one extra degree of freedom in the electromagnetic potential, leaving only two relevant degrees of freedom. This can be compared to fixing the length of a box of water, and the width being constrained by the length, leaving only the height as the relevant degree of freedom.
mkbh_10
My teacher told me that in columb gauge we have div A = 0 along with d/dt(Ao) = 0 where A is the vector potential and Ao is its time component , and time & space are not on equal footing , so these are two degrees of freedom and in lorenz gauge we have 4 dimensional divA = 0 where space & time are on equal footing so there are 3 degrees of freedom .

These are the constraints on the potential , so how come they are degree of freedom and what are the 3 degrees of freedom in lorenz gauge .

Physics news on Phys.org
The electromagnetic potential [tex](A^0, A^1, A^2, A^3)[/tex] represents four numbers assigned at every point in space and time. Therefore on the face of it, it seems like we have four degrees of freedom(four numbers to represent the system at every space time point). But the fact is that some degrees of freedom are redundant. I will give an example. You are given one liter of water which is 1000 cm^3. But I can say the volume as "10cmx10cmx10cm" or "100cmx10cmx1cm" or any other set of values that gives the same volume. So as far as the volume is concerned giving three numbers causes extra degrees of freedom which is of no relevance. For the electromagnetic potential only two degrees of freedom are relevant. Now you can remove the extra degrees of freedom by giving some constraints. For the volume case let me give the constraints as the length=100 cm and width = 10cm. Under this constraint giving the height alone gives the volume. So we have only one free degree of freedom.

In coulomb gauge as far as I know there is only one constraint div A = 0. Lorentz gauge has also only one constraint 4DDiv A =0. So they add one constraint between the four variables and even after putting that constraint the Maxwell equations remain the same. So we prove that one extra degree of freedom was there and we remove it by having the coulomb or lorentz gauge. Now the source part in the Maxwell equations (the charge and current densities) can be expressed in terms of the the electromagnetic potential. We have a continuity equation which is a constraint between the charge and the current densities. So this causes a second constraint for the electromagnetic potential. Thus only two degrees of freedom are relevant.(We fixed one degree of freedom by the choice of the gauge and we lost one degree of freedom because of the continuity equation constraint). It is like taking water in a box having its base area constrained to be 100cm^2. you can fix the length(this is gauge fixing), then the width is constrained to be 100/length(this is like continuity equation constraint), now the height is the only degree of freedom that determines the volume.

My apologies if my volume comparison is silly :)

Related to What Are the Degrees of Freedom in Lorenz and Columb Gauges?

1. What is the difference between Lorenz and Coulomb gauges?

The Lorenz gauge and the Coulomb gauge are two different gauges used in electrodynamics to describe the electromagnetic field. The main difference between them is how they handle the longitudinal component of the vector potential. In the Lorenz gauge, the longitudinal component is set to zero while in the Coulomb gauge, it is free to vary.

2. What is the physical significance of the degrees of freedom in Lorenz and Coulomb gauges?

The degrees of freedom in Lorenz and Coulomb gauges refer to the number of independent variables needed to fully describe the electromagnetic field. In the Lorenz gauge, there are four degrees of freedom (three for the transverse components of the vector potential and one for the scalar potential) while in the Coulomb gauge, there are only three degrees of freedom (the transverse components of the vector potential).

3. Why are the Lorenz and Coulomb gauges important in electrodynamics?

The Lorenz and Coulomb gauges are important in electrodynamics because they help simplify the equations used to describe the electromagnetic field. They also have important applications in understanding the behavior of electromagnetic waves and the interaction between charged particles and electromagnetic fields.

4. How do the Lorenz and Coulomb gauges affect the propagation of electromagnetic waves?

The Lorenz gauge does not affect the propagation of electromagnetic waves since it only sets the longitudinal component of the vector potential to zero. However, the Coulomb gauge can affect the propagation of electromagnetic waves since it allows for the longitudinal component to vary, which can change the behavior of the waves.

5. Are the Lorenz and Coulomb gauges interchangeable?

No, the Lorenz and Coulomb gauges are not interchangeable. While they both have their own advantages and applications, they cannot be used interchangeably as they yield different results and describe the electromagnetic field in different ways.