What are the deceleration and average braking force of a train?

• Thread starter IB1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Train
In summary, a train with a mass of 1.5 * 10^5 kg was traveling at 40m/s before applying the brakes and decelerating steadily. It traveled a distance of 250m before coming to a halt. To calculate the deceleration, the equation v^2 = v_0^2 + 2as can be rearranged to a = (v_f^2 - v_0^2) / 2s, where v_f is the final velocity of 0. The average braking force can then be found using this deceleration value.
IB1
A train of mass [tex]m=1.5 \cdot 10^5 kg [/tex] is traveling at [tex]40m/s [/tex] when the brakes are applied and it decelerates steadily. The train travels a distance of [tex]250m[/tex] before coming to a halt.

a) Calculate the deceleration of the train.
b) Find the average braking force.

I have tried to solve it using formulas such as:
[tex] v^2 =v_{0} ^2 +2as [/tex] and so the others of that family, but they do not work because I need to know three variables to find the others...

Physics news on Phys.org
IB1 said:
A train of mass [tex]m=1.5 \cdot 10^5 kg [/tex] is traveling at [tex]40m/s [/tex] when the brakes are applied and it decelerates steadily. The train travels a distance of [tex]250m[/tex] before coming to a halt.

a) Calculate the deceleration of the train.
b) Find the average braking force.

I have tried to solve it using formulas such as:
[tex] v^2 =v_{0} ^2 +2as [/tex] and so the others of that family, but they do not work because I need to know three variables to find the others...

If you read the question carefully, you find you do have 3 variables for that equation. for [tex]v_{f}^{2} = v_{0}^{2} + 2as[/tex] you can rearrange( I won't patronise you by asking you to do it) to find [tex]a[/tex]: [tex] a = \frac{v_{f}^{2} - v_{0}^{2}}{2s}[/tex]

It is important to remember in problems where something is slowing to a halt, that this implies that your final velocity is 0. this is how you know 3 variables. The same principle applies for something speeding up from rest in which case the initial velocity is 0.

Thank you both for your fast replies. I understood.

Related to What are the deceleration and average braking force of a train?

1. What causes a train to decelerate?

A train decelerates due to external forces such as friction, air resistance, and the weight of the train itself. Additionally, the train's brakes are used to slow down its speed.

2. How does a train decelerate?

A train decelerates by reducing its speed, which can be achieved by decreasing the power to the train's engines or applying the brakes. The train's wheels also play a role in deceleration by creating friction against the tracks.

3. What factors affect a train's deceleration?

The main factors that affect a train's deceleration are its weight, speed, and the friction between the wheels and the tracks. Other factors such as weather conditions and the condition of the tracks can also impact a train's deceleration.

4. How long does it take for a train to decelerate?

The time it takes for a train to decelerate depends on several factors, including its initial speed, the amount of braking power applied, and the train's weight. On average, it can take a train 1-2 minutes to decelerate from its top speed to a complete stop.

5. What are the consequences of a train decelerating too quickly?

If a train decelerates too quickly, it can cause discomfort or injuries to passengers on board, damage to the train's components, and potentially derailment. It is essential for trains to decelerate gradually and safely to ensure the safety of passengers and the train itself.