What are the conditions for a bench on an inclined plane to slide or tip?

In summary, the friction coefficient (both static and dynamic) is ¨u¨. The maximum slope yo can get in order that the bench does not slide is ##m*g*sin(B)##. The maximum slope yo can get in order that the bench does not turn is ##m*g*sin(B)##. The condition necessary for the bench to turn but not slide is when ##mg\sin(\beta) = mg\cos(\beta)u##.
paalfis
http://file://localhost/Users/pablotano_94/Downloads/IMG_20141205_183228102.jpg 1. Homework Statement
Assume that the friction coefficient (both static and dynamic) is ¨u¨.
a) What is the maximum slope yo can get in order that the bench does not slide?
b) What is the maximum slope yo can get in order that the bench does not turn?
c) What condition must be satisfied, while you are increasing the slope, in order that the bench turns but does not slide?

The Attempt at a Solution

My results where:
a)m*g*sin(B)<mgcos(B)*u
b)tan(B)<d/(2h)
c) u*m*g*cos(arctan(d/(2h))>m*g*sin(B)

This problem is supposed to be a tough one.. But my solution was quite simple, so, I think I am missing something, I really need some help with this one..
Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20141205_183228102.jpg
    IMG_20141205_183228102.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 437
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't find the problem particularly tough, so I also suspect I'm missing something [:. But these were my thoughts related to your answers:

a) It's almost there, but if ##mg\sin(\beta) = mg\cos(\beta)u## I don't think the bench will slide.

b) and c) it's seems that you can solve them with one solution (that's the reason why I think I'm also missing something).

I assume the point at the top of the height h is the center mass. Think about the bench being on level ground and a person pushing in the upper left edge. There must be a force making it rotate around the lower right edge, and your equation for b) is not accounting for that. In what situation there will be equilibrium (there will be neither linear nor rotational net force)? What is causing the force (if there are any)? how is it related to the center of mass, h, and d?

I had the same though, anyway, the question asks for the condition necessary for the bench to TURN (hopefully meaning turning all the way down) not for the conditions necessary for the rotation to start. That would be a very complicated problem, because you would need the acceleration for the rotation in order to see what it is needed to reach for the "critical" point of turning all the way.

I think that the real problem comes when you consider that the normal force in each of the bench legs is different because of the angular momentum of the bench. Then, the front leg acts like a fulcrum and the rest of the bench turns with respect to it.
Sadly, I wasn't able to solve the problem this way..

paalfis said:
a)m*g*sin(B)<mgcos(B)*u
Right, but you can simplify that a lot. (Yes, it probably should include equality, but that's of no practical interest.)
paalfis said:
c) u*m*g*cos(arctan(d/(2h))>m*g*sin(B)
I think it's looking for a condition that does not depend on beta. The slope will be gradually increased until it either slides or tips.
paalfis said:
not for the conditions necessary for the rotation to start
No, it's only concerned with rotation starting. Once it starts it will continue until the bench has turned 90 degrees at least. You cannot tell what will happen after that since you do not know the full height of the bench.

Related to What are the conditions for a bench on an inclined plane to slide or tip?

1. How does the angle of inclination affect the bench on an inclined plane?

The angle of inclination determines the amount of force needed to keep the bench from sliding down the plane. The steeper the angle, the more force needed to keep the bench in place.

2. What is the purpose of using an inclined plane for a bench?

An inclined plane allows for the bench to be raised to a higher level without needing to lift it directly. This reduces strain on the user's back and makes it easier to move the bench.

3. Can the bench slide down the inclined plane?

Yes, if there is not enough friction between the bench and the plane, it can slide down. This is why it is important to secure the bench with a stopper or weight to prevent any accidents.

4. How does the weight of the bench affect its movement on an inclined plane?

The weight of the bench affects the force needed to keep it in place on the inclined plane. A heavier bench will require more force to keep it from sliding down, while a lighter bench will require less force.

5. What is the relationship between the length of the inclined plane and the force needed to keep the bench in place?

The longer the inclined plane, the more force will be needed to keep the bench in place. This is because the longer the distance, the more gravity will act upon the bench and cause it to slide down.