What Are the Components of Net Force for a Mass Swinging on a Rope?

N. The equations involve finding the direction of Ft and Fg, with Ft = 16.25 and Fgrav = -19.6. The person is unsure of what to do next and is questioning the directions of their forces.
cfagan6

Homework Statement

2 kg mass swings on the end of a rope as shown in the figure below. At the highest point in the trajectory the string makes a 56 degree angle with respect to the horizontal and the tension on the string is 16.25 N.

= (No Response) N

Homework Equations

So I know I need to the direction of Ft and Fg.
Ft^hat=<cos(56),sin(56),0>
Fgrav^hat=<cos(56),sin(56),0>
Ft=16.25
Fgrav=-19.6

The Attempt at a Solution

So I'm not quite sure what to do now. The way I tried doing it was adding the two vectors times their magnitudes and finding the magnitude of that vector but I get the wrong answer. I feel that the problem is in directions of my forces but I don't understand why.

Attachments

• pendulum10.png
    pendulum10.png
    1.1 KB · Views: 514
Physics news on Phys.org
What is the question? ehild

What is net force?

Net force is the overall force acting on an object, taking into account the magnitude and direction of all the individual forces acting on it.

How do you find the components of net force?

To find the components of net force, you must first identify all the individual forces acting on the object. Then, using vector addition, you can find the resultant force, which will have both a magnitude and direction. The components of net force are the individual forces that contribute to the resultant force.

What is the importance of finding the components of net force?

By finding the components of net force, you can understand the overall forces acting on an object and how they contribute to its motion. This can be useful in analyzing the stability, acceleration, and other properties of the object.

What is the difference between magnitude and direction of net force?

Magnitude refers to the size or strength of a force, while direction refers to the path or angle in which the force is acting. Both magnitude and direction are important components of net force, as they determine the overall effect of the forces on an object.

Are there any tools or equations that can help in finding the components of net force?

Yes, there are several tools and equations that can be used to find the components of net force, such as vector addition, free body diagrams, and Newton's laws of motion. These tools can help simplify the process and provide a more accurate result.