What Are the Calculations Behind Probabilities in Combinatorial Problems?

In summary, the speaker has two problems that they are struggling to solve, one involving probabilities of different digits and the other involving a sample of letters. They provide their attempts at solving the problems but are seeking assistance with the correct steps to the solution. For the first problem, they have no problem with 1 digit and the third case, but are struggling with two different digits. They list out the possible combinations for two digits and question how there can be only 630 possibilities out of 10,000. For the second problem, they provide their own attempt at a solution but explain that the answer is supposed to be 25!/5!^5 and are looking for an explanation behind this answer.
lesdavies123
Hi, there are two problems I can't really solve yet they don't seem that difficult. The two of them seem pretty related to me, I think there's something I'm not getting I'll detail my attempts at solving but any help especially with the steps to the solution would be really appreciated as I have the answers, these are not homework or anything like that just me practicing.

The first one is: Consider 4 digits, what are the probabilities of getting 1 different digit, 2 of them, 3 of them or 4.
I have no problem with 1 digit, it is 10/1000. The third I can do also and the 4th, it is especially with two different digits that I struggle.

So I thought the two digits which can repeat twice can be 0,1;0,2;0,3;0,4;0,5,etc...1,2;1,3;1,4;1,5..etc,2,3;2,4;2,5...etc,2,9; until 8,9 so a total of 45 possibilities.. but out of 10000? because 10^4? Anyways the answer is supposed to be 630... I don't know how that's possible.. Thanks

2nd problem

From the population of five symbols a, b, c, d, e, a sample of size 25 is taken. Find the probability that the sample will contain five symbols of each kind.

The only thing I could think of was (4/5)^5 x (3/5)^5 x (2/5)^5 x (1/5)^5 which is obviously wrong. Apparently the answer is 25!/(5!^5 X 5^25 ) so if anyone could explain the logic behind this answer would be great! Thank you guys! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
What, exactly, do you mean by "two different digits"? Different from what? If you number were "1101" would that count as "one different digit" (since the single digit "0" is different from the other digits) or would it count as "two different digits" (since it has "1" and "0" as digits)?

I had interpreted it as counting as 2 different digits! Or else 4 different would be impossible.

For your second question, there is an unstated assumption that all the letters are equally probable.
1/5^25 is the probability for one particular sequence of 25 letters.
25!/ 5!^5 is the number of sequences with 5 of each letter.

Hi there,

First, let's address the first problem. You are correct in your thinking that there are 45 possible combinations of two digits that can repeat twice out of the 10000 possible combinations. However, the reason the answer is 630 is because you need to consider the order of the digits as well.

For example, the combination 0,1,0,1 can be arranged in 4!/2!2! = 6 ways (you can think of it as 4 choices for the first digit, 3 choices for the second digit, 2 choices for the third digit, and 1 choice for the fourth digit, but since there are two 0's and two 1's, we need to divide by 2! twice to account for the repeated digits). Similarly, the combination 1,0,1,0 can also be arranged in 6 ways. So, out of the 45 possible combinations, there are actually 6+6=12 ways to arrange the digits. This means that the total number of combinations with two different digits is 45 x 12 = 540.

Now, for the second problem, let's break it down step by step. We have a population of 5 symbols (a, b, c, d, e) and we are taking a sample of size 25. This means that we will have a total of 25 symbols in our sample, and we want to know the probability that we will have exactly 5 of each symbol.

First, let's consider the probability of getting 5 a's in our sample. This would be (1/5)^5, since there is a 1 in 5 chance of getting an a for each of the 5 symbols in our sample.

Similarly, the probability of getting 5 b's in our sample would be (1/5)^5, and the same goes for c, d, and e.

Since we want to have 5 of each symbol, we need to multiply these probabilities together. This gives us (1/5)^5 x (1/5)^5 x (1/5)^5 x (1/5)^5 x (1/5)^5 = (1/5)^25.

However, we also need to consider the number of ways we can arrange these 25 symbols in our sample. This is where the 25! comes in. This represents all the possible ways

Related to What Are the Calculations Behind Probabilities in Combinatorial Problems?

What is combinatorics and why is it important?

Combinatorics is a branch of mathematics that deals with counting and arranging objects in different ways. It is important because it has practical applications in various fields such as computer science, engineering, and statistics.

What are the two main types of combinatorial problems?

The two main types of combinatorial problems are permutation problems and combination problems. Permutation problems involve arranging objects in a specific order, while combination problems involve selecting objects without regard to order.

How do you approach solving combinatorial problems?

The approach to solving combinatorial problems is to break them down into smaller, more manageable subproblems. This can involve identifying patterns, using known formulas, or creating a systematic approach to counting the possibilities.

What are some real-world applications of combinatorics?

Combinatorics has many real-world applications such as in coding theory, scheduling, and network design. It is also used in analyzing data in fields such as genetics, economics, and social sciences.

What are some common misconceptions about combinatorics?

One common misconception about combinatorics is that it is only useful in theoretical mathematics. In reality, it has many practical applications in various industries. Another misconception is that combinatorial problems are always difficult to solve, but often there are simple and efficient solutions available.