What are the biggest problems in the study of complex systems?

In summary, the study of complex systems found in nature, specifically within active matter, presents a variety of unsolved problems. These include understanding self-organization and the underlying mechanisms of active matter systems. The practical purpose of studying such systems is to gain a better understanding of natural phenomena, such as weather prediction, and potentially apply this knowledge to various fields.
Tim667
TL;DR Summary
In the study of complex systems found in nature, what are the biggest unsolved problems?
What are the practical purposes of studying complex systems found in nature? And applying statistical methods to them etc.

Physics news on Phys.org
Tim667 said:
Summary:: In the study of complex systems found in nature, what are the biggest unsolved problems?

What are the practical purposes of studying complex systems found in nature? And applying statistical methods to them etc.
What have you found in your research so far? What is your definition of Complex Systems?

Likes Tim667
Tim667 said:
Summary:: In the study of complex systems found in nature, what are the biggest unsolved problems?

"complex systems found in nature" is much too broad of a category to get a useful answer, IMO. As is "biggest unsolved problems".

But I'll toss out one for consideration: Weather prediction. I'll leave the practical purpose for you to figure out.

Likes Tim667
DaveE said:
"complex systems found in nature" is much too broad of a category to get a useful answer, IMO. As is "biggest unsolved problems".

But I'll toss out one for consideration: Weather prediction. I'll leave the practical purpose for you to figure out.
Fair point. I'll be more specific next time. Within the study active matter, do you know at all what the biggest underlying problems here would be?

Tim667 said:
Within say, active matter, would you know what the biggest problems would be? As well as the practical purpose of studying such a subject
Specifically the way certain active matter systems self organise etc

You might benefit from reading this Reviews of Modern Physics paper on the topic (here is a link to an arxiv version if you don't have access to the RMP article). Given, that article is 8 years old now and my impression was that active matter was still a hot topic in those eight years, so much has probably happened in those eight years. I have no useful personal knowledge on the subject.

EDIT: Also, you would probably get a good idea of what people are doing by looking at the research of the authors on that review article. I recognize at least three names of very accomplished people in that field.

Last edited:
Likes Tim667

Related to What are the biggest problems in the study of complex systems?

1. What is a complex system?

A complex system is a system that is made up of many interconnected and interdependent parts or components. These parts interact with each other in non-linear and unpredictable ways, making it difficult to understand and predict the behavior of the system as a whole.

2. What are the biggest challenges in studying complex systems?

The biggest challenges in studying complex systems include the non-linear and unpredictable nature of their behavior, the difficulty in identifying and understanding all the interconnected parts, and the lack of a universal framework for analyzing and modeling these systems.

3. How do scientists approach studying complex systems?

Scientists use a variety of methods and techniques to study complex systems, including computer simulations, mathematical models, and empirical observations. They also often collaborate with experts from different disciplines to gain a more comprehensive understanding of the system.

4. What are some real-world examples of complex systems?

Some examples of complex systems include ecosystems, weather patterns, the human brain, and social networks. These systems exhibit emergent properties, meaning that their behavior cannot be fully understood by looking at the individual components alone.

5. What are the potential applications of studying complex systems?

Studying complex systems can help us better understand and manage natural and human-made systems, from predicting and mitigating the effects of natural disasters to improving efficiency and decision-making in complex organizations. It can also lead to new technologies and innovations by uncovering underlying patterns and principles in complex systems.