What Are the Best Ways to Contribute and Exchange New Algorithms?

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of developing new algorithms and the potential platforms or ways to share and advance ideas in this field. It is suggested that extensive knowledge and testing is necessary, and it may be best to implement and sell the algorithm rather than sharing it publicly.
kjsisco
I am someone who likes to come up with new algorithms. Is there a platform to exchange such ideas. Any mailing lists to advance computer science? Perhaps there are programs that accept new algorithms. Sorry if this is a vague post but this is a broad topic.

Technology news on Phys.org
If you have a new algorithm its probably best to create a software with it and sell it. I don't think any company especially, would share their algorithms.

Good point. I only bring this up because I do know that there is a market for it out there.

kjsisco said:
I am someone who likes to come up with new algorithms. Is there a platform to exchange such ideas. Any mailing lists to advance computer science? Perhaps there are programs that accept new algorithms. Sorry if this is a vague post but this is a broad topic.

Algorithms is a great field for development. What is needed, in order to give an important contribution in this field, is a substantial to expert knowledge and also to do a continuous search for what has been already invented / discovered including various improvements of already known algorithms, that are developed in an almost everyday basis. So, to elaborate a little more, you must test the algorithm you have developed in an extensive manner both with pen and paper and in a program form - this is really way more difficult than it may sound to be, and this is usually done in the form of a team with the outcome being peer reviewed and you must be absolutely sure that your algorithm is not already invented and / or is not already used in some form of freeware or commercial software. These last two things are also very difficult to verify.

On the other hand, if you are really interested in this field - which I personally find an excellent thing to do, there are various ways to enhance your knowledge / expertise and discuss about your ideas but in the end, no one (I think) will be willing to give publicly such a substantial idea, so if you come up with something that is evidently such good, it may be best, as @kolleamm suggests, to implement it in some form of software and sell it. But again, this is by no means a discouraging statement, first be sure about your expertise on this field and test and search extensively.

Last edited:
Likes berkeman

Related to What Are the Best Ways to Contribute and Exchange New Algorithms?

What is the importance of contributing to research?

Contributing to research is vital for the advancement of knowledge and understanding in various fields. By participating in research, you can help expand the current body of knowledge, improve existing practices, and potentially find solutions to important problems.

How can I contribute to research?

There are several ways to contribute to research, including participating in studies as a subject, conducting your own research, collaborating with other researchers, or providing funding or resources for research projects.

What are the benefits of contributing to research?

Contributing to research can have a positive impact on both the individual and society as a whole. It can provide opportunities for personal and professional growth, increase your knowledge and skills, and ultimately contribute to the betterment of society.

What are the potential risks of contributing to research?

There are some potential risks associated with contributing to research, such as confidentiality breaches, physical or psychological harm, or loss of privacy. However, these risks are typically minimized through strict ethical guidelines and regulations.

How can I ensure that my contribution to research is ethical?

As a researcher, it is important to follow ethical guidelines and obtain informed consent from participants. As a research participant, you can ensure that your contribution is ethical by asking questions, understanding the purpose and risks of the research, and providing honest and accurate information.