What are the best physics textbooks?

In summary, the conversation discusses the best textbooks for a physics student. Different books are recommended for different subjects and levels, and it is important to specify the field and level in order for someone to provide helpful recommendations. The conversation also mentions a forum dedicated to discussing textbooks and suggests reaching out via private message for further assistance.
Ahmed Hassan
Hello everyone !
I am going to be a physics student next September and I want to know what are the best textbooks that are well-written , well-explained with diagrams and examples ?
Thank you !

Physics news on Phys.org
A book is better than another book within the same subject, not to mention that which one is the best is relative to the one who judge it.
Which subject do you want?

Well, I don't know what topic you're referring to, but I'd always suggest Jackson's book on Electromagnetism. This with Misner's Gravitation (for grad school) are the two "bibles" of physics I rely mostly on.

We have a whole forum about textbooks. I've moved this thread there. There are posts about introductory physics textbooks, classical mechanics textbooks, electromagnetism textbooks, quantum mechanics textbooks, etc. Scan through the list of thread titles, or use the forum search feature.

Ahmed Hassan said:
Hello everyone !
I am going to be a physics student next September and I want to know what are the best textbooks that are well-written , well-explained with diagrams and examples ?
Thank you !
What grade are you entering into? High School? Batchelor's? Masters? What is your background? How much of math do you know?

Until and unless you specify in which field you need a book, and of which level, no one will be able to help you.

Likes smodak
Since the OP didn't reply on any of the many questions above, and
Wrichik Basu said:
Until and unless you specify in which field you need a book, and of which level, no one will be able to help you.
summarizes the difficulties for us pretty well, I'll close this thread.

@Ahmed Hassan: If you have answers to the questions above, please contact me via PM.

Likes Wrichik Basu

Related to What are the best physics textbooks?

1. What are the top recommended physics textbooks for beginners?

The top recommended physics textbooks for beginners are "Fundamentals of Physics" by Halliday, Resnick, and Walker, "University Physics" by Young and Freedman, and "Concepts of Physics" by H.C. Verma. These textbooks provide a comprehensive introduction to the basic concepts of physics and are written in an easy-to-understand format.

2. Are there any physics textbooks that are specifically for non-physics majors?

Yes, there are several physics textbooks that are designed for non-physics majors. Some examples include "Physics for Scientists and Engineers with Modern Physics" by Douglas Giancoli and "Physics: Principles with Applications" by Douglas Giancoli. These textbooks focus on real-life applications of physics and use minimal mathematical equations, making them more accessible for non-physics majors.

3. What is the best physics textbook for advanced concepts?

For advanced concepts in physics, "Introduction to Electrodynamics" by David J. Griffiths and "Classical Mechanics" by John R. Taylor are highly recommended. These textbooks cover topics such as electromagnetism and classical mechanics in depth, with a rigorous mathematical approach.

4. Are there any online resources for physics textbooks?

Yes, there are several online resources for physics textbooks. Some popular websites include OpenStax and Khan Academy, which offer free online textbooks and video lessons for various physics topics. Additionally, many universities have their own online libraries where students can access electronic versions of textbooks.

5. What are some important factors to consider when choosing a physics textbook?

When choosing a physics textbook, it is important to consider the level of difficulty, the author's writing style, and the inclusion of real-world applications. It is also helpful to read reviews and ask for recommendations from other students and professors. Additionally, consider whether the textbook includes online resources or practice problems for further learning and understanding.