What are the applications of YBCO bulks?

In summary, CAN-Superconductors sells YBCO bulks, which are mainly used for demonstrations in schools. There are no known real-world applications for these bulks, but they have been selling for over 20 years, suggesting profitability. However, YBCO can also be shaped into other products for various uses.
DariusP
So I've seen that can-superconductors are selling YBCO bulks (example: https://www.can-superconductors.com/levitation-bulk.html )

My question, however, is: What are its buyers?

Who buys this product other than curious enthusiasts who want to witness the levitation of this material by themselves? Is there any useful application of these bulks in real world? Any commercial use?

Is it profitable to make them? I'd appreciate any kind of input.

Physics news on Phys.org
Discs like that are mainly used by schools etc for demonstrations; I can't think of any "real world" applications.
If it is profitable? Well, they'be been selling them for a very long time (probably over 20 years) so I would assume so.

Of course you can shape the YBCO into something else and they you can use it for a variety of things; just have a look at the other products CAN sells.

Related to What are the applications of YBCO bulks?

1. What is YBCO?

YBCO stands for yttrium barium copper oxide, which is a type of cuprate superconductor. It is made up of three elements and has the chemical formula YBa2Cu3O7-x.

2. What are the applications of YBCO bulks?

YBCO bulks have several potential applications, including high-field magnets for medical imaging and particle accelerators, fault current limiters for power grids, and energy storage devices such as flywheels. They can also be used in high-speed trains, levitation devices, and motors for electric vehicles.

3. How are YBCO bulks made?

YBCO bulks are typically made using a technique called melt processing, where the elements are melted together and then cooled to form a solid block. This block is then processed further to align the crystals and remove impurities, resulting in a high-quality superconductor material.

4. What are the advantages of using YBCO bulks?

YBCO bulks have several advantages over other superconductor materials. They have a higher critical temperature (the temperature at which they become superconducting) than other cuprate superconductors, making them easier to cool and operate. They also have a high critical current density, meaning they can carry more electrical current without resistance.

5. Are there any limitations to the applications of YBCO bulks?

While YBCO bulks have many potential applications, there are still some limitations to consider. One limitation is the cost of production, as the process of making high-quality YBCO bulks can be expensive. Additionally, the brittleness of YBCO can make it difficult to manufacture large and complex shapes, limiting its use in certain applications.