What Are the Answers to These Challenging Physics Multiple Choice Questions?

In summary: E(k)In summary, the first question asks about the change in efficiency of a heat engine when the temperature of the hot reservoir is increased. The second question asks about the direction and strength of an electric field between two points with different potentials. The third question involves the De Broglie wavelength of a particle and its proportionality to kinetic energy. The correct answers are 1. c, 2. c, and 3. c.
Sombra
Physics Questions (mult choice!)

These questions confuse me:
1. A heat engine operates in a Carnot cycle b/w two reservoirs, a hot reservoir at temperature T(h) and a cold reservoir at T(c). The efficiency of the engine is 50%. The temperature of the hot reservoir is increased to 2T(h). The efficiency of the engine now is--- a. 25% b. 33% c. 75% and d. 100%. (If you know of at least an equation I could use, it would be great. I ruled out 100% since it's not really possible, but I really don;t know)

2. Line X has a potential of +50V and line Y has a potential of +100V. The distance between X and Y is 2.0 cm. Which of the following gives the direction of the electric field and its strength? a. X to Y, 25 V/cm b. X to Y, 100 c. Y to X, 25 d. Y to X 100. (I have no idea how to approach this.)

3. The de Broglie wavelength of a particle that has kinetic energy E(k) is lamda. The wavelength lamda is proportial to: a. E(k) b. 1/E(k) c. 1/ square root of E(k) d. E(k)^2. (I said E(k) because they said that E(k) was lamda, but I don't know)

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
3. The De Broglie wavelenght is

[tex]\lambda = \frac{h}{p}[/tex]

where h is a constant of proportionality and p is the momentum mv of the particle.

The problem will be solved if we can express p in terms of the kinetic energy E(k) (what is this weird notation?!)

[tex]E(k) = \frac{1}{2}mv^2 = \frac{1}{2}\frac{m^2v^2}{m} = \frac{1}{2}\frac{p^2}{m} \Leftrightarrow p^2 = 2mE(k) \Leftrightarrow p = \pm\sqrt{2mE(k)}[/tex]

So

[tex]\lambda = \frac{h}{\pm\sqrt{2mE(k)}} = \frac{\pm h}{\sqrt{2m}}\frac{1}{\sqrt{E(k)}}[/tex]

i.e. the answer is c.

Last edited:

1. The correct answer is c. 75%. The equation to use here is the Carnot efficiency formula: efficiency = (T(h)-T(c))/T(h) x 100%. When the temperature of the hot reservoir is increased to 2T(h), the efficiency becomes (2T(h)-T(c))/2T(h) x 100%, which simplifies to 75%.

2. The correct answer is d. Y to X, 100. The direction of the electric field is from positive to negative, so it goes from Y to X. The strength of the electric field can be calculated using the equation E = V/d, where V is the potential difference between X and Y and d is the distance between them. Plug in the given values, and you will get 100 V/cm.

3. The correct answer is c. 1/ square root of E(k). The de Broglie wavelength is given by the equation lamda = h/p, where h is Planck's constant and p is the momentum of the particle. Since kinetic energy is proportional to momentum, the wavelength is proportional to the inverse of the square root of kinetic energy.

Related to What Are the Answers to These Challenging Physics Multiple Choice Questions?

1. What is the difference between velocity and speed?

Velocity is a vector quantity that includes both the speed and direction of motion, while speed is a scalar quantity that only measures the rate of motion. In other words, velocity specifies both how fast and in what direction an object is moving, while speed only specifies how fast.

2. What is the difference between potential energy and kinetic energy?

Potential energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its position or configuration in a force field, while kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. In other words, potential energy is stored energy, while kinetic energy is energy in motion.

3. How does Newton's first law of motion relate to inertia?

Newton's first law of motion states that an object at rest will remain at rest, and an object in motion will remain in motion at a constant velocity, unless acted upon by an external force. This is directly related to the concept of inertia, which is the tendency of an object to resist changes in its state of motion.

4. What is the difference between elastic and inelastic collisions?

In an elastic collision, both momentum and kinetic energy are conserved, meaning that the total momentum and total kinetic energy before and after the collision are the same. In an inelastic collision, only momentum is conserved, meaning that the total momentum before and after the collision is the same, but the total kinetic energy changes due to the loss of energy to heat, sound, or deformation.

5. How does the force of gravity between two objects change as their distance increases?

According to Newton's law of universal gravitation, the force of gravity between two objects is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance between two objects increases, the force of gravity between them decreases. In other words, the force of gravity is stronger between objects that are closer together and weaker between objects that are further apart.