What Are the 35 Native Plants You Need for Your Botany Project?

In summary: Missouri native plants" on google...)In summary, the goal of the project is to find plants that are not originally from somewhere else.
Mr. College
Hi,

I live in Missouri I'm currently in a Botany class that has a project that requires us(me and my lab partner) to find 35 Missouri native plants, tree's, shrubs, etc. Any helpful advice on how to go about this would be appreciated. Department of conservation said go to parks and pick tree's and flowers and stuff and I also ordered this book which looks pretty good.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1591931568/?tag=pfamazon01-20

There's also a book by Don Kurz(Trees of Missouri) which is pretty good too, but that one doesn't have the glossy photos Trees Of Missouri Field guide has.

Project isn't due till November, 21st, but fall is coming up and we need bark, leaves, terminal bud, bud, etc, tons of part with each sample. Although the "A" project she showed us didn't have all these. She's one of those teachers who talks real strict but is actually a smoothy when it comes grading time. Also if I turn it in like 2 weeks early then me and my partner get something like 20 points extra credit ---------> woot.

*Coming later* -- The text explanation of the assignment, for further explanation in her words.

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
Mr. College said:
Department of conservation said go to parks and pick tree's and flowers and stuff and I also ordered this book which looks pretty good.

Which department of conservation?

The one in Missouri, where I live of course

Would http://www.missouriplants.com/Whiteopp/Species_list.html help? :smile:

What your prof wants is for you to find plants that are not originally from somewhere else.

Almost anything a landscaped area like a campus or a park is foreign. Plants you know as weeds usually are foreign species as well. Your best bet is to go to an area that was let fallow and undisturbed for quite a while. Years. Also, most annuals will die off at first frost, but shrubs and trees will hang onto leaves longer.

To be able to identify your plant, you need several leaves on a branch for woody plants, not a compund leaf (black walnut has a compund leaf). And you will need at least a flower or seed pod for annuals. This is so you can figure out what plant you found.

All of these are organized so non-botanists can use them easily, lotsa pictures, low cost, and libraries have them:

For trees: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0394507606/?tag=pfamazon01-20

For wildflowers - and lots of other things - plus it has an iPhone app:
http://www.audubonguides.com/home.html

I would like to pose a question myself regarding your project. What exactly is a "native species" in the scientific sense?. Obviously, artificial state boundaries have no scientific relevance. The state of Missouri lies at the western edge of the Eastern Temperate Forest biome which extends from Missouri to the Atlantic coast and from the Gulf coast to Canada. I don't think a native plant of Maine would necessarily be considered a native plant of Missouri because it's from the same biome. Sub-biomes are recognized and Missouri seems to lie in at least two. Northern Missouri is very similar to Iowa while southwestern Missouri is very similar to northwestern Arkansas. The two areas are quite different from each other. The north is flat and merges into the natural eastern prairie region that extends from parts of Indiana to the Great Plains. (Very little of this region remains in its natural state because of farming and ranching.) The south is dominated by the hilly and forested Ozark Plateau which extends into Arkansas. More native species of this sub-biome probably survive here. The Mississippi Valley probably represents a third sub-biome.

My question: Is the object of this project to just find "native species" within the political boundaries of the state, or to understand "native species" in terms of the sub-biomes which happen to lie partially in the state? The Ozark Plateau, which straddles two states, is a biologically distinct and interesting region and should be studied in its own right. In other words, maybe the the proper scientific question should be the native species of the Ozark region and the native species of the open woodland-prairie or eastern prairie sub-biome..

dendro.cnre.vt.edu/Forsite/tdfbiome.htm

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...8oDAAg&usg=AFQjCNGCDc3s-R_2PPBkoRvvC_mADi1i4Q

(Only the google url seems to work for this).

Last edited:
I'll be sure to relay that question to my teacher.

jim mcnamara said:
What your prof wants is for you to find plants that are not originally from somewhere else.

Almost anything a landscaped area like a campus or a park is foreign. Plants you know as weeds usually are foreign species as well. Your best bet is to go to an area that was let fallow and undisturbed for quite a while. Years. Also, most annuals will die off at first frost, but shrubs and trees will hang onto leaves longer.

To be able to identify your plant, you need several leaves on a branch for woody plants, not a compund leaf (black walnut has a compund leaf). And you will need at least a flower or seed pod for annuals. This is so you can figure out what plant you found.

All of these are organized so non-botanists can use them easily, lotsa pictures, low cost, and libraries have them:

For trees: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0394507606/?tag=pfamazon01-20

For wildflowers - and lots of other things - plus it has an iPhone app:
http://www.audubonguides.com/home.html

Thanks I bought this book called Native Trees of Missouri by Stan Tekitijjj...something like that

SW VandeCarr said:
I would like to pose a question myself regarding your project. What exactly is a "native species" in the scientific sense?. Obviously, artificial state boundaries have no scientific relevance. The state of Missouri lies at the western edge of the Eastern Temperate Forest biome which extends from Missouri to the Atlantic coast and from the Gulf coast to Canada. I don't think a native plant of Maine would necessarily be considered a native plant of Missouri because it's from the same biome. Sub-biomes are recognized and Missouri seems to lie in at least two. Northern Missouri is very similar to Iowa while southwestern Missouri is very similar to northwestern Arkansas. The two areas are quite different from each other. The north is flat and merges into the natural eastern prairie region that extends from parts of Indiana to the Great Plains. (Very little of this region remains in its natural state because of farming and ranching.) The south is dominated by the hilly and forested Ozark Plateau which extends into Arkansas. More native species of this sub-biome probably survive here. The Mississippi Valley probably represents a third sub-biome.

My question: Is the object of this project to just find "native species" within the political boundaries of the state, or to understand "native species" in terms of the sub-biomes which happen to lie partially in the state? The Ozark Plateau, which straddles two states, is a biologically distinct and interesting region and should be studied in its own right. In other words, maybe the the proper scientific question should be the native species of the Ozark region and the native species of the open woodland-prairie or eastern prairie sub-biome..

dendro.cnre.vt.edu/Forsite/tdfbiome.htm

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...8oDAAg&usg=AFQjCNGCDc3s-R_2PPBkoRvvC_mADi1i4Q

(Only the google url seems to work for this).

I guess what were learning is how to ID and key out plants, even though I'll probably never do this again. 1. Cause I hate Botany 2. This project is the most boring thing I've ever done

http://www.flickr.com/photos/87057833@N08/

Anybody know what plant species these are? They are mostly tree's and some shrub's from eastern Jackson County, Missouri.

Related to What Are the 35 Native Plants You Need for Your Botany Project?

1. What is the purpose of a Botany Plant ID Project?

A Botany Plant ID Project is typically conducted to identify and classify different plant species in a particular area for scientific research or conservation purposes. This can also help in understanding the distribution and diversity of plant species in a specific ecosystem.

2. How is a Botany Plant ID Project conducted?

A Botany Plant ID Project involves collecting plant specimens, documenting their physical characteristics, and using taxonomic keys and other resources to identify and classify them. This can also include using DNA testing and other advanced methods for accurate identification.

3. What are the benefits of a Botany Plant ID Project?

A Botany Plant ID Project can provide valuable information about the biodiversity of a specific area, including rare or endangered plant species. It can also help in understanding the ecological relationships between different plant species and their role in the ecosystem.

4. Who can participate in a Botany Plant ID Project?

Anyone with an interest in botany and plant identification can participate in a Botany Plant ID Project. This can include students, researchers, and citizen scientists. Some projects may also require specialized training or knowledge in plant taxonomy.

5. How can the results of a Botany Plant ID Project be used?

The results of a Botany Plant ID Project can be used for various purposes, such as creating a comprehensive plant inventory for a specific area, identifying potential threats to plant species, and informing conservation efforts. They can also contribute to scientific research and our overall understanding of plant diversity and ecology.