What are the 11 possible outcomes of a collision between two objects?

In summary, the student attempted to create a chart outlining the possible outcomes of a collision between two objects, but was unable to come up with all eleven possible outcomes. He was able to think of nine possible outcomes, and two of which were when A and B moved in the same direction.
ngu9997
So, I had to complete this chart for an assignment in class regarding momentum and possible situations that could result from a collision between two objects. For the outcomes or results column of the chart there are 11 different blanks (impossible or possible) that could possibly occur and I can only think of 9.

The 9 situations after the collisions that I have are: 1. Object A moving towards the left while Object B moves towards the right, 2. Object A moving towards the right while Object B moves toward the left 3. Object A moving towards the left while Object B remains stationary 4. Object A moving towards the right while Object B remains stationary 5. Object B moving towards the right while Object A remains stationary 6. Object B moving towards the left while Object A remains stationary 7. Object A+B moving towards the left in the same direction 8. Object A+B moving towards the right in the same direction 9. Object A+B remaining stationary after the collision.

If anyone can help me think of the other two outcomes I'd greatly appreciate it, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello ngu, and welcome to PF. :)
Pity you erased the template: I would have appreciated being able to read the exact text of the exercise. Now I have to guess that this is a linear collision between objects that are constrained to one dimensional movement. How they can pass through each other is then a question mark to me.

If my guess is right, I miss
Object A moving towards the left while Object B moves towards the left
Object A moving towards the right while Object B moves towards the right
but if I am wrong I also miss a whole lot of other directions.

You sure this is the answer that makes you happy ?

Sorry BvU, these are the directions the paper I have states:

Fill in the eleven outcome possibilities in the "Outcomes" column for when the two objects collide if 1) a moving object hits a stationary object, 2) two moving objects collide head-on, and 3) a moving object catches up and strikes another moving object from behind. If any outcome is impossible, write "impossible" across the "Outcome Conditions" columns on that row.

The eleven outcomes will be all the same for each of the three situations, and the outcome does not have to be possible for each situation.
Also one of my nine I was able to think of did include Object A and Object B both moving in the same direction, left and right after the collision, but I can't seem to find the two other outcomes. Perhaps, it was a typo, but I don't have school today so I couldn't ask my teacher for what the answer could possibly be.

Well, perhaps then it's something like:
with A moves left, moves right, or doesn't move you have three possibilities.
with B moves left, moves right, or doesn't move you have three possibilities.
combined that gives nine possibilities -- where A and B speeds differ for the left-left and right-right cases.
Then there are two more:
A and B stick together and move left at same speed
A and B stick together and move right at same speed

Makes eleven altogether and you can start dealing with the three cases !

I suppose this is in an introduction phase and you haven't had any equations to mobilize for this exercise ? Otherwise you certainly would have listed them under 2. relevant equations in the template, right ?

I can provide some additional possible outcomes for a collision between two objects:

10. Object A and Object B stick together after the collision and move in a new direction (e.g. if they are two cars colliding head-on and form a new combined mass)
11. Object A and Object B collide and break into smaller pieces or fragments, each with their own direction and momentum (e.g. if they are two glass bottles colliding and shattering into pieces)

It is also important to note that the outcome of a collision can also depend on the specific properties of the objects involved, such as their mass, velocity, and elasticity. This can result in a wide range of possible outcomes and is a key aspect of studying collisions in physics.

Related to What are the 11 possible outcomes of a collision between two objects?

1. What is momentum?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion, and is calculated by multiplying its mass by its velocity. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is momentum conserved in a collision?

The law of conservation of momentum states that the total momentum of a system remains constant, as long as there are no external forces acting on the system. This means that in a collision between two objects, the total momentum before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision.

3. How does the mass of an object affect its momentum?

The greater the mass of an object, the greater its momentum will be, given the same velocity. This is because momentum is directly proportional to mass.

4. What is the difference between elastic and inelastic collisions?

In an elastic collision, both momentum and kinetic energy are conserved. This means that the objects bounce off each other without any loss of energy. In an inelastic collision, only momentum is conserved and some kinetic energy is lost in the form of heat or sound.

5. What is the relationship between momentum and force?

Force is directly related to the change in an object's momentum over time. This is known as the impulse-momentum theorem, which states that the force applied to an object is equal to the change in its momentum over time.