What are some tips for choosing a career in engineering?

• Thread starter FrostMachine
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Career
In summary, if you're undecided about which major to choose, it might be a good idea to take a look at the different departments and see what appeals to you. You may find that your interests change as you learn more advanced classes.
FrostMachine
Hi physics forums community, I still have a year to go to college and I want to be able to decide my career so I can begin getting the recommendation letters from my professors at school, start applying, etc... I know this might be fictional or far fetched, but the reason I like engineering so much is because of the iron man comics, the whole idea of creating new technology seems very interesting to me. What i the closest thing to such profession?

I'm practically into robotics, circuitry, jets, etc.. I think I am more or less over the fields of Electrical and Mechanical Engineering, i just don't know which one to pick. I want to be able to enter college decided and focused on my career.

Thanks in advanced for the help and information you all might give me.

Physics news on Phys.org
FrostMachine said:
I think I am more or less over the fields of Electrical and Mechanical Engineering, i just don't know which one to pick. I want to be able to enter college decided and focused on my career.
Why? I've got two friends into robotics who transitioned from ME to EE (one got his undergrad in ME and is going for a Masters in EE, the other switched his undergrad major from ME to EE), but a lot of robotics projects need both and compE's too. You'll switch your interests 8 times while you're in college anyway, so don't get bogged down in planning out your future. If you're in a country where you can't really switch your major, why not visit the school/go to the website and poke around the departments and figure out what appeals to you? (Which is something you may want to do anyway.)

Last edited:
I agree with story645. Keep these points in mind:

The required classes in the first one or two years of ME and EE are almost the same, so there is no need to decide early which path you want to take.

As you learn more advanced classes, you may find your interests change. Who knows, you may take a class that fires you up and inspires your passion in a new direction. Be open to that.

Related to What are some tips for choosing a career in engineering?

What factors should I consider when deciding my career?

When deciding your career, there are several important factors to consider. These include your interests, skills, values, and personality. It's also important to consider the job market and potential for growth in your chosen field.

Is it better to follow my passion or choose a practical career?

This is a common question when deciding a career path. While following your passion can lead to a fulfilling career, it's also important to consider practical factors such as job availability and salary. It may be beneficial to find a balance between your passions and practicality.

How can I explore different career options?

Exploring different career options can involve researching different industries, job shadowing, informational interviews, and internships. It's also helpful to talk to individuals who are currently working in fields that interest you.

Do I need a college degree to have a successful career?

While a college degree can be beneficial for many careers, it is not always necessary. Many successful individuals have pursued alternative education or trade school options. It's important to research the specific requirements for your desired career path.

What should I do if I'm unsure about my career path?

If you're unsure about your career path, it's important to take the time to explore your interests, skills, and values. Consider seeking guidance from a career counselor or taking career assessments. It's also helpful to gain experience through internships, volunteering, or part-time jobs to help narrow down your options.