What are some tips for applying to PhD programs in Aerospace Engineering?

In summary, the conversation discusses a person's pursuit of a PhD in Aerospace Engineering specializing in CFD of reacting flows, with a focus on propulsion systems. They are considering applying to schools outside of their current institution, particularly Stanford in the US, and are seeking advice on the application process and other potential schools with strong CFD research programs. It is mentioned that most US schools require the GREs, but the Physics GRE may not be necessary for engineering programs. There is also a caution about the competitiveness of applying to Stanford.
bossmonkey
Hi all, long time lurker, first time poster here.

I am currently working towards an MASc in Aerospace Engineering specializing in CFD of reacting flows (like in propulsion systems) at the University of Toronto in Canada.

I am considering applying for a PhD in Aerospace Engineering in the same topic but I want to do it elsewhere (nothing wrong with staying at the University of Toronto fyi, I just want the opportunity/excuse to travel).

I have been thinking about Stanford in the states and I was wondering if any of you had any advice regarding applying to Stanford or any general tips for applying for PhD programs in the states. What kinds of things can I do to make my application look better? Would it be worthwhile to do the GRE Physics test even if I intend to apply to the Engineering faculty?

Are there any other good schools around the world that are good for CFD research as applied to propulsion systems?

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Most schools in the US require you take the GREs but the Physics GRE is not worth it if you are applying for engineering. I can't speak for all departments but I know that my department does not care about your GREs but they are still required by the graduate school.

I don't know much about Stanford but I do know you should not just apply there because you probably won't get in. Nothing against you its just a hard school to get into even for the best.

Related to What are some tips for applying to PhD programs in Aerospace Engineering?

1. What is a PhD in Aerospace Engineering?

A PhD in Aerospace Engineering is an advanced degree that focuses on the research and development of new technologies and techniques in the field of aerospace engineering. It typically takes 4-5 years to complete and requires a strong background in mathematics, physics, and engineering.

2. What career opportunities are available with a PhD in Aerospace Engineering?

Individuals with a PhD in Aerospace Engineering can pursue careers in research and development, academia, government agencies, and the aerospace industry. They may work on designing and testing new aircraft and spacecraft, developing advanced propulsion systems, or conducting research on aerodynamics and materials science.

3. What are the admission requirements for a PhD in Aerospace Engineering?

The specific admission requirements may vary between universities, but generally, applicants must have a Bachelor's or Master's degree in a related field, strong academic background, letters of recommendation, and a statement of purpose. Some programs may also require GRE scores and relevant work experience.

4. How long does it take to complete a PhD in Aerospace Engineering?

On average, it takes 4-5 years to complete a PhD in Aerospace Engineering. This includes coursework, research, and dissertation writing. However, the time frame may vary depending on the individual's research progress and the specific requirements of their program.

5. What skills and knowledge will I gain from a PhD in Aerospace Engineering?

A PhD in Aerospace Engineering will provide you with advanced knowledge and skills in areas such as aerodynamics, propulsion, materials science, and control systems. You will also develop strong research and analytical skills, as well as the ability to design and conduct experiments, and communicate your findings effectively.