What are some recommended analysis books for physics undergraduates?

In summary, If you are an undergraduate in physics with limited math background and no exposure to formal proofs, it is recommended to start with an advanced calculus text like Spivak or Fitzpatrick. However, if you have some exposure to formal proofs, Pugh's analysis text may be a good option. Another suggestion is Serge Lang's Undergraduate Analysis, which is known for being well-explained, but may not be easy. For those on a budget, there are also free options available online.
kostas230
I'm looking for an analysis book. I was recommended Rudin but it proved too difficult for me. I've heard Lang's "Undergraduate Analysis" is a pretty good textbook. I'm an undergraduate in physics so my math backround is more limited than that of a math undergraduate.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have any exposure to formal proofs?

If not, you may want an advanced calculus text like Spivak or Fitzpatrick.

If so, try Pugh's analysis text.

I studied Calculus I from Spivak and Caclulus II from Marsden. Thanks mate :)

Pretty expensive for me right now (greek undergraduate :P)

kostas230 said:
Pretty expensive for me right now (greek undergraduate :P)

If you look here:
http://www.e-booksdirectory.com/listing.php?category=471

you will find some free books, one or more might be what you are looking for. The book by Ash has solutions to the problems, which may help. good luck.

jason

I would suggest Serge Lang's Undergraduate Analysis. To be honest, i didn't study it, but I studied his Linear Algebra and his Undegraduate Algebra, and I found them to be extremely useful and throughly well explained (being understood that "well explained" doesn't necessarily mean "easy")

Related to What are some recommended analysis books for physics undergraduates?

1. What is the purpose of an Analysis Book for Physicists?

An Analysis Book for Physicists is a record of experiments, observations, and data analysis in the field of physics. It serves as a detailed log of the scientific process and allows for future reference and replication of results.

2. What information should be included in an Analysis Book for Physicists?

An Analysis Book for Physicists should include a clear and concise description of the experiment or observation, any data collected, any calculations or analysis performed, and any conclusions drawn from the results.

3. Why is it important for a physicist to keep an Analysis Book?

An Analysis Book is important for a physicist because it allows for the documentation and organization of research and data, ensuring the accuracy and reproducibility of results. It also serves as a reference for future experiments and can aid in the development of new theories and discoveries.

4. How often should an Analysis Book be updated?

An Analysis Book should be updated regularly, ideally after each experiment or observation. This ensures that all data is accurately recorded and no important details are forgotten. It also allows for a continuous and organized record of the scientific process.

5. Are there any specific guidelines for keeping an Analysis Book for Physicists?

While there may not be specific guidelines, it is important for an Analysis Book to be well-organized, clear, and detailed. It should also be regularly reviewed and updated, and any changes or modifications to experiments or data should be clearly noted. It is also recommended to use a bound notebook or electronic log to ensure the security and integrity of the data.