What are some potential career paths for a nanotechnology engineering major?

In summary: Where is a good place to be employed if you are a nanotechnology Engineer?There are a lot of companies that are developing nanotechnology-based products, so I think the best place to be employed would be one of those companies.3) And lastly.. What is the expected annual salary?I'm not sure what the expected annual salary is for nanotechnology engineers, but I would guess it would be pretty high.
!Live_4Ever!
Hi, I'm a high school student thinking about going to Engineering.

I don't know which engineering field to choose, but I eventually chose nanotechnology engineering, partly because It is a new field since I thought about it the most. I plan to get an MBA afterwards to get into management some time in my mid-30s after I settle in the job as an engineer

My question is:
1) What is the job trend over the next few decades? Do I need to have any drastic career changes in order to survive or something?
2) Where is a good place to be employed if you are a nanotechnology Engineer?
3) And lastly.. What is the expected annual salary? :biggrin:

Thanks a bunch =)

Physics news on Phys.org
!Live_4Ever! said:
1) What is the job trend over the next few decades? Do I need to have any drastic career changes in order to survive or something?

Heh, I think you overestimate our powers. Everyone here who can see the future raise their hands. . .

The actual number of people working in industry in nanotech engineering is almost certainly small. I'm not sure their income values would have any meaning to you by the time you graduated.

Do they have such a major?
I'm an electrical eng. student, never heard of it :D

If it exists, then I certainly don't know what they really do, since nanotechnology is not widely involved in the engineering fields..

I think you must be genius to prove yourself in such a major, because certainly, not every graduate works in that field

materials science & engineering, look it up

Why don't you go for an electronics major, and start further studies for nanotechnology?...by this way, you will have a major that will enable you to work in normal fields, and studies that will enable you to work in what you are interested at...

University of Waterloo seems to pop up when I google the major "Nanotech Engineering".It's very interesting to major in something new that nobody had heard of!But it's sometimes risky to do that.What if the work field corresponding for this major didn't expand over time?What if you didn't find it interesting enough?Does it limit your work possibilities?That's why, some people prefer to major in Engineering disciplines that are more general and which seem to be accompanied with a wider labor field.Majoring in Electric Engineering will introduce you to much more jobs that will give you the ability to choose,etc..If you seem to be interested in Nanotech, think about Grad school.Or what about a minor in Nanotech besides your Engineering major?You have a large set of possibilities to choose from.

One of my teachers is simply a physics PhD holder and is pretty much the Solid State guy in Alaska. He does a lot of nano.

You definitely want to check out Materials Science programs. You'll have to look at each school's program individually - the focus of materials science used to be metallurgy, and some programs still focus on that, but many materials science programs have shifted their focus toward nanotechnology. Also, you might be interested in some business/engineering programs, if the schools you're looking at offer them. As a materials science major I'm pretty biased, but I like it because it has given me a decent understanding of why nanotechnology is so interesting, in addition to learning about the nanoscale stuff itself.

One thing that is bound to be a focus of future research is energy, at least as far as I can tell, so I tell myself that I'll at least always be able to find a job doing something energy-related. And engineers tend to make decent salaries out of college no matter what major, so I wouldn't worry too much about that. I'm a senior in college and I still don't know what kind of job I want to end up having - it's great that you're thinking about careers now, but you should really focus now on finding good schools with programs that allow you some flexibility (you know, in case you change your mind).

Related to What are some potential career paths for a nanotechnology engineering major?

What is nanotechnology engineering?

Nanotechnology engineering is a field of science and engineering that involves the manipulation of matter at the nanoscale, which is about 1 to 100 nanometers in size. It includes the design, production, and application of structures, devices, and systems at the nanoscale.

What are the potential applications of nanotechnology engineering?

Nanotechnology engineering has a wide range of potential applications, including in medicine, electronics, energy production, environmental remediation, and many others. Examples include targeted drug delivery systems, improved solar panels, and water purification systems.

What are the risks associated with nanotechnology engineering?

The potential risks of nanotechnology engineering are still being studied, but some concerns include the release of nanoparticles into the environment, the toxicity of certain nanoparticles, and the potential for unintended consequences in complex systems.

How does nanotechnology engineering differ from traditional engineering?

Nanotechnology engineering differs from traditional engineering in that it deals with materials and structures at the nanoscale, which can exhibit different properties and behaviors than those at larger scales. It also often involves working with individual atoms and molecules, rather than bulk materials.

What are the educational and career opportunities in nanotechnology engineering?

Nanotechnology engineering offers a variety of educational and career opportunities, including research positions in academia or industry, as well as roles in product development, quality control, and project management. Many universities now offer degree programs specifically in nanotechnology engineering.