What are some interesting conferences for graduate students in various fields?

• Thread starter neurocomp2003
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Scientific
In summary: CEU-Conference.org) which offers a number of opportunities for students to present their work to other students and professionals.
neurocomp2003
I was trying to search on the forums for threads of conferences but i couldn't find any or glanced to fast.

So what are some of the interesting conferences that peopel have been to that (current or potential) graduate students should look into?

List any field you want (but any pertaining to N-body simulations or dynamic simulation in phys/MD/3D spatial biology would be very grateful for me anyways)

Physics news on Phys.org
I am guessing the APS (American Physical Society) March Meeting would be of interest to you.

You also have the APS April Meeting- more of a gravity/particle/nuclear physics meeting. You also have all the divisions, topical groups and regional groups within the APS (DNP, DPF, Beams, AMO, etc.)

Most of the professional societies for given fields hold at least an annual meeting for researchers.

These have been of interest to me...

AAPT conferences and "Topical Conferences"
http://www.aapt.org/Events/meetings.cfm
http://www.opensourcephysics.org/CPC/index.html (for Summer 07)
http://www.aapt-doorway.org/TGRU/index.htm (from Summer 06)

Gordon Research conferences
http://www.grc.org/meetings.aspx?year=2007

regional Gravity Meetings
google.com/search?q=%22eastern+gravity+meeting%22
google.com/search?q=%22midwest+gravity+meeting%22
google.com/search?q=%22pacific+coast+gravity+meeting%22

Last edited by a moderator:
I went to the SNM (Society of Nuclear Medicine) meeting. It was interesting but geared more towards medical physics and nuclear pharmacy than health physics. The Health Physics meeting is in about a week in Portland, and I'll be there for the first time, so I'll let you know how it went.

can you apply for funding to go to conferences?

ice109 said:
can you apply for funding to go to conferences?

Your department or university may have funding available, especially if you are giving a presentation. The conference itself may have some limited funding for students, underrepresented people, first-timers, etc... For any of these, apply early.

There is also the CEU- Conference Experience for Undergrads

Related to What are some interesting conferences for graduate students in various fields?

What is a scientific conference?

A scientific conference is an event where scientists, researchers, and other professionals come together to present and discuss their latest findings and research in a specific field or subject.

Why are scientific conferences important?

Scientific conferences are important because they provide a platform for researchers to share their work, receive feedback and collaborate with others in their field. They also allow for the exchange of ideas and the dissemination of new knowledge and advancements in the scientific community.

How do scientific conferences work?

Scientific conferences typically involve presentations, workshops, poster sessions, and panel discussions where researchers can present their work and engage in discussions with their peers. They may also include keynote speeches from experts in the field and networking opportunities for attendees to connect with others in their field.

How do I attend a scientific conference?

To attend a scientific conference, you will typically need to register and pay a fee. Some conferences may also require you to submit an abstract or paper for consideration for presentation. Once registered, you will receive a schedule of events and instructions on how to join the conference, either in person or virtually.

What are the benefits of attending a scientific conference?

Attending a scientific conference allows you to stay updated on the latest research and advancements in your field, network and collaborate with other professionals, and gain valuable feedback and insights on your own work. It can also provide opportunities for career development and potential collaborations or funding opportunities.