What are some interesting approximations of pi?

In summary, the conversation discusses various approximations of pi, including the commonly known values of $\frac{22}{7}$ and $\frac{355}{133}$, as well as other interesting observations such as the sum of two surds $\sqrt{2} + \sqrt{3}$. The conversation also mentions a mnemonic for remembering the digits of pi and shares a collection of unique approximations, with a particular favorite being $\frac{355}{113}$. The conversation also briefly touches on the continued fraction expansion of pi and a personal approximation of pi featured on Pi Day.
kaliprasad
Gold Member
MHB
we know a couple of approximate values of $\pi$ mostly $\frac{22}{7}$ and $\frac{355}{133}$ but one I found (from the net )interesting was sum of 2 surds $\sqrt{2} + \sqrt{3}$.if anyone is aware of other of interesting observation kindly let me know.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Not an approximation but a mnemonic: "May I have a large container of coffee". The number of letters in each word: 3.1415926.

There is a collection of weird and wonderful approximations for pi here. My favourite is the approximation $\frac{355}{113}$, which gives the first six decimal digits of $\pi$ correctly, even though the numerator and denominator of the fraction have only three digits. The reason for that is that the following term in the continued fraction expansion of $\pi$ is the large number 292.

pi - log(23.141) = .000013282...

Related to What are some interesting approximations of pi?

1. What is the approximate value of pi?

The approximate value of pi is 3.14159. It is a mathematical constant that represents the ratio of a circle's circumference to its diameter.

2. Why is pi considered an irrational number?

Pi is considered an irrational number because it cannot be expressed as a finite decimal or fraction. Its decimal representation is infinite and non-repeating.

3. How many digits of pi have been calculated?

As of 2021, the most digits of pi that have been calculated is 31.4 trillion, using a supercomputer. However, for most practical applications, using the first few digits (3.14) is sufficient.

4. How accurate is the approximate value of pi?

The approximate value of pi is accurate to the given number of digits. However, due to its infinite nature, it is not possible to know the exact value of pi.

5. What is the history of pi?

The concept of pi has been studied and used in mathematics for thousands of years, with the earliest known approximations dating back to ancient Egypt and Babylon. The first calculation of pi to the current accuracy was made by Archimedes in the 3rd century BC.