What are some helpful factoring formulas to use for polynomials?

In summary: I'd tend to doubt that there are any "formulas" for factoring polynomials of degree higher than 2, although there are some for solving equations of degree higher than 2.In summary, the conversation is about finding helpful formulas for factoring and working with algebraic equations. The three major factoring rules for cubes and squares are mentioned, as well as the suggestion to buy a textbook for further learning. It is also mentioned that learning basic principles is more important than memorizing formulas. There may not be formulas for factoring polynomials of degree higher than 2.
nanoWatt
I don't really have a book to go by, and am going through examples online.

I'm finding that there are certain helpful formulas. Does anyone know of a collection of formulas that I can use.

For example, the difference of cubes: [tex]A^3 - B^3 = (A - B) (A^2 + AB + B^2)[/tex]

It would be handy to have the sum of squares, sum of cubes, log, and formulas for working with e as well.

When going through factoring, the thing holding me back is I just don't have the formulas.

Thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
try google or wikipedia

nanoWatt said:
I don't really have a book to go by, and am going through examples online.

I'm finding that there are certain helpful formulas. Does anyone know of a collection of formulas that I can use.

For example, the difference of cubes: [tex]A^3 - B^3 = (A - B) (A^2 + AB + B^2)[/tex]

It would be handy to have the sum of squares, sum of cubes, log, and formulas for working with e as well.

When going through factoring, the thing holding me back is I just don't have the formulas.

Thanks.

Hi, nanoWatt. For factoring, it is common to have the three major factoring rules down by heart. Difference of Cubes (which you already have), Sum of Cubes [tex]a^3 + b^3 = (a + b)(a^2 - ab + b^2)[/tex], and Difference of Squares [tex]a^2 - b^2 = (a + b)(a - b)[/tex].

These are the three major factor-helpers you will see. However, these will not do for all things such as factoring quadratic equations. So it is good to form an intuitive knowledge of "how" the factors of cubes and squares work rather than *just* memorizing the 'formula' (such as learning how the middle terms of Difference of Squares 'drop out', rather than just memorizing where to put the a and b variables). This makes things like quadratic factoring easier to handle (or it did for me, anyway).

I don't know of any other factoring rules but those three basic one's, but those should be all you need if you're just doing Algebra (correct me if I'm wrong). Hope I helped. Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
NanoWatt,
You say you have no textbook; just go buy a used introductory algebra book. You can develop factorization formulas on your own just by performing the multiplication steps on binomials and binomials & trinomials. You understand the distributive property? Then you can perform the multiplications. You should also check the Binomial Theorem (you'll find that in some intermediate algebra books, and also in College Algebra books).

In general, [itex]A^n- B^n= (A-B)(A^{n-1}+ A^{n-2}B+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ AB^{n-2}+ B^{n-1})[/itex].

I'm not sure what you mean by "factoring formulas" involving logs or exponentials. One generally on "factors" polynomials.

I must say that learning "formulas" is far inferior to learning basic principles!
To factor something line [itex]ax^2+ bx+ c[/itex], you start with the knowledge that [itex](ex+ d)(fx+ g)= (ef)x^2+ (df+ eg)x+ dg[/itex]- that you need to factor a and c and then look at possible "df+eg" combinations of those factors.

Related to What are some helpful factoring formulas to use for polynomials?

What are simple factoring formulas?

Simple factoring formulas are mathematical expressions that allow us to rewrite an equation in a more simplified form by finding common factors. They are commonly used in algebra to solve equations and identify patterns.

What is the difference between factoring and expanding?

Factoring and expanding are inverse operations, meaning they undo each other. Factoring involves breaking down an expression into its simplified form, while expanding involves multiplying out an expression and simplifying it.

What are some common factoring formulas?

Some common factoring formulas include the difference of squares, perfect square trinomials, and the sum and difference of cubes. These formulas can be used to simplify polynomial expressions and solve equations.

Why is factoring important in mathematics?

Factoring is important in mathematics because it allows us to solve equations, simplify expressions, and identify patterns. It is also used in real-world applications such as finance, engineering, and computer science.

What are some strategies for factoring?

Some strategies for factoring include finding common factors, using the distributive property, and applying known factoring formulas. It is also helpful to look for patterns and use trial and error to find the correct factoring method for a specific equation.