What are some creative extra credit ideas for Calculus 1?

In summary, the conversation is about a college calculus professor who has an extra credit option in her syllabus that allows students to demonstrate excellence and mastery of course material, but requires creativity and initiative. The professor did not mention this option in class and was vague when a student asked for more information. The student is struggling to come up with an idea for the extra credit and is seeking suggestions from others.
tjgraz11
Hello everyone, this is my first post so if I am doing something wrong let me know.

My first year college calculus professor has slipped a little cookie into her syllabus that says the following.

"Extra credit is a demonstration of excellence and mastery of skill taught in this course in a form that is considered above the standard expectations of the course. This is not assigned, but requires creativity and initiative from the student. Any initial discussion about extra credit concepts must occur prior to the middle of the semester in office hours. Extra credit can make up at most of 15% of the final grade."

She never talked about it to the class and when i spoke with her about it in private, she was very non descriptive with what the exrtra credit could be. I've been scratching my head for the past week trying to come up with an idea that would really demonstrate my understanding of calculus.

If anyone has any ideas and would like to share them with me, I would greatly appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the idea is that you are the one who's supposed to be creative, not us. :wink:

Related to What are some creative extra credit ideas for Calculus 1?

What is Calculus 1 extra credit?

Calculus 1 extra credit refers to additional assignments or projects that can be completed by students to earn extra points towards their final grade in a Calculus 1 course. These tasks are typically more challenging and require a deeper understanding of the material.

Why is Calculus 1 extra credit important?

Calculus 1 extra credit can be beneficial for students who want to improve their grade or for those who are struggling in the course. It allows students to demonstrate their understanding of the material in a different way and can help to strengthen their overall understanding of Calculus 1 concepts.

What are some examples of Calculus 1 extra credit ideas?

Some examples of Calculus 1 extra credit ideas include creating a real-world application of a Calculus concept, solving a difficult problem that extends beyond the scope of the course, or writing a research paper on a topic related to Calculus 1.

How much extra credit can be earned through Calculus 1 extra credit?

The amount of extra credit that can be earned through Calculus 1 extra credit may vary depending on the instructor and the specific assignments or projects offered. It is important to check with your teacher to understand the potential point value of each extra credit opportunity.

Do I have to complete Calculus 1 extra credit?

No, Calculus 1 extra credit is usually optional, and it is up to the student to decide whether or not to participate. However, it is always a good idea to take advantage of extra credit opportunities to potentially improve your grade and deepen your understanding of the course material.