What are some coincidences in quantum mechanics that make life possible?

• Thread starter tzimie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    List
In summary, the conversation discusses various "coincidences" in quantum mechanics that are necessary for life to exist. These include the need for at least three generations of quarks for CP violation to occur and create a matter-antimatter imbalance, the stability of the neutron being crucial for life, and the absence of stable nuclei with 5 and 8 hadrons to allow for stars to exist for a long time. The conversation also touches on the concept of fine-tuning in the context of the multiverse and the role of the anthropic principle in explaining the combination of 19 parameters in the Standard Model that are necessary for life-friendly conditions. However, there is still much unknown about these phenomena and their origins, and the conversation
tzimie
Could you help to add more items into this incomplete list of life-friendly "coincidences" in QM:

1. Having at least 3 generations is important for life. With 2 or less, CP violation is "absorbed", and without CP violation there is no matter-antimatter disbalance.

2. Neuron is "almost" stable. Having neutron unstable or absolutely stable will be a disaster (for different reasons).

3. There are no stable nuclei with 5 and 8 hadrons, otherwise starts won't be "blocked" on the main sequence for a long time. BTW, why there are no such hadrons? How is it mapped into parameters of the Standard Model?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
How about conservation of uncertainty :smile: ?

Likes bhobba
BvU said:
How about conservation of uncertainty :smile: ?

Definitely, sarcasm is not conserved, but grows infinitely like dark energy.
May be my question should belong to Cosmology forum?

Likes BvU
This thread is off to a bad start. #1 is not true, and #2 and #3 are not coincidences.

Vanadium 50 said:
This thread is off to a bad start. #1 is not true, and #2 and #3 are not coincidences.

Could you elaborate (#2 and #3)?

Regarding #1,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CP_violation
A necessary condition for the appearance of the complex phase is the presence of at least three generations of quarks (if fewer generations are present, the complex phase parameter can be absorbed into redefinitions of the quark fields).

And I also have hefty reservations w.r.t. the line above #1. This is a serious physics forum. But humour is of course allowed :smile:

BvU said:
And I also have hefty reservations w.r.t. the line above #1. This is a serious physics forum. But humour is of course allowed :smile:

Do you suspect that I am talking about the creationism or something like that?
No of course
But I am interested in the fune-tuning in a context of the Multiverse. And of course, this fine-tuning is explained based on Anthropic Principle.
Specifically, I am curious about life-friendly combinations of 19 parameters of the Standard Model, forming one or multiple "clouds" in 19-dimensional space.

tzimie said:

This is only necessary for the CP violation having its origin in mass mixing of Dirac fermions. There are many other possible types of CP violation. For Majorana fermions, two generations are sufficient for CP violation and one of the biggest theoretical problems of today is why strong interactions do not violate CP.

Orodruin said:
This is only necessary for the CP violation having its origin in mass mixing of Dirac fermions. There are many other possible types of CP violation. For Majorana fermions, two generations are sufficient for CP violation and one of the biggest theoretical problems of today is why strong interactions do not violate CP.

But there are no low energy Majorana fermions (not sure about neutrinos)
So yes, there are many possible types of CP violation, but what kind of CP violation is responsible for actual the matter-antimatter disbalance?

tzimie said:
Do you suspect that I am talking about the creationism or something like that?
No of course
But I am interested in the fune-tuning in a context of the Multiverse. And of course, this fine-tuning is explained based on Anthropic Principle.
Specifically, I am curious about life-friendly combinations of 19 parameters of the Standard Model, forming one or multiple "clouds" in 19-dimensional space.
You in cahoots with Paul Davies ? I'm more a fan of John Green. I suppose that in PF a physics prof trumps a fiction writer (but the writer's quote gets more likes :smile:).

By the way, don't trust the web site: there are no physics profs that write 'nucleuses'.

tzimie said:
But there are no low energy Majorana fermions (not sure about neutrinos)
Nobody is sure about neutrinos, this is an active field of experimental research.

tzimie said:
So yes, there are many possible types of CP violation, but what kind of CP violation is responsible for actual the matter-antimatter disbalance?
We do not know that at this point. The CP violation you are thinking about is far too small to account for the matter-antimatter asymmetry anyway so we already know it is not that one. The most likely scenario is that there are CP violating effects at much higher energies which we have yet to probe. There is no telling whether or not this would require three generations of fermions or not, but there is absolutely nothing which requires it to be a low energy phenomenon.

Edit: Do not get this wrong, the prediction of the third generation of quarks based on the CP violation in the neutral kaon system was a wonderful scientific achievement, well worthy of the Nobel prize it was awarded. However, there is a difference in predicting the third generation based on the observation of CP violation in this particular system and going on from there to claim that it is a requirement for any CP violation.

ok, what's about nuclei with 5 and 8 hadrons?

If you look how energy levels in nuclei are filled, it is no surprise that helium-4 has an extremely low energy, which makes nuclei with 5 or 8 nucleons unstable (because they decay to helium+X). To change that, you need a completely different universe.

The production of carbon despite that barrier is more interesting I think, and it lead to the prediction of an excited state of carbon, maybe (!) based on the anthropic principle.

Related to What are some coincidences in quantum mechanics that make life possible?

1. What is the purpose of continuing this list?

The purpose of continuing this list is to provide additional information or examples related to the topic being discussed.

2. How long should this list be?

The length of the list can vary depending on the amount of information available or the specific needs of the audience. Generally, it is best to keep the list concise and relevant.

3. Can I contribute to this list?

Yes, contributions to the list are always welcome. Please make sure to provide accurate and reliable information to maintain the integrity of the list.

4. Is it necessary to continue the list?

Continuing the list is not always necessary, but it can be helpful in providing more comprehensive information or addressing common questions or concerns.

5. How do you decide what to include in the list?

The items included in the list are typically chosen based on their relevance and importance to the topic being discussed. They may also be based on common questions or areas of interest related to the topic.