What Are Some Challenging Physics Mechanics Questions?

In summary: But for #2, the correct answer is (B) 3kt^2/2. And for #4, the correct answer is (C) Air resistance increases the downward acceleration.
key
Hi can i please get some help with these questions

1.A sphere of mass M, radius r, and rotational inertia I is released from rest at the top of an inclined plane of height h

If the plane is frictionless, what is the speed vcm, of the center of mass of the sphere at the bottom of the incline?
(A) Square root of 2gh (B) 2Mgh/I (C) 2Mgh(r)squared/I (D) Square root of answer C

I think it is A

2. The momentum p of a moving object as a function of time t is given by the expression p = kt3, where k is a constant. The force causing this motion is given by the expression
(A) 3kt2 (B) 3kt2/2 (C) kt2/3 (D) kt4 (E) kt4/4

I think the answer is E

3. A mass M suspended by a spring with force constant k has a period T when set into oscillation on Earth. Its period on Mars, whose mass is about 1/9 and radius 1/2 that of Earth, is most nearly
(A) 1/3 T (B) 2/3 T (C) T (D) 3/2 T (E) 3 T

I think the answer is C

4. A student is testing the kinematic equations for uniformly accelerated motion by measuring the time it takes for light weight plastic balls to fall to the floor from a height of 3 m in the lab. The student predicts the time to fall using g as 9.80 m/s2 but finds the measured time to be 35% greater. Which of the following is the most likely cause of the large percent error?
(A) The acceleration due to gravity is 70% greater than 9.80 m/s2 at this location.
(B) The acceleration due to gravity is 70% less than 9.80 m/s2 at this location.
(C) Air resistance increases the downward acceleration.
(D) The acceleration of the plastic balls is not uniform.
(E) The plastic balls are not truly spherical.

I think the answer is A

5. An object is thrown with velocity v from the edge of a cliff above level ground. Neglect air resistance. In order for the object to travel a maximum horizontal distance from the cliff before hitting the ground, the throw should be at an angle θ with respect to the horizontal of
(A) greater than 60° above the horizontal
(B) greater than 45° but less than 60° above the horizontal
(C) greater than zero but less than 45° above the horizontal
(D) zero
(E) greater than zero but less than 45° below the horizontal

I think the answer is D

6. The escape speed for a rocket at Earth's surface is ve . What would be the rocket's escape speed from the surface of a planet with twice Earth's mass and the same radius as Earth?
(A) 2 ve (B) (C) ve (D) (E) ve/2

I think the answer is A

7. A 1.0 kg mass is attached to the end of a vertical ideal spring with a force constant of 400 N/m. The mass is set in simple harmonic motion with an amplitude of 10 cm. The speed of the 1.0 kg mass at the equilibrium position is
(A) 2 m/s (B) 4 m/s (C) 20 m/s (D) 40 m/s (E) 200 m/s

I think the answer is C

thank you so much for the help

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you show your work in how you figured out your answers?

could you please tell me the ones i got wrong i will show you my work for those
thanks

Last edited:
I checked the first 4 questions; #2 and #4 are wrong.

I don't have time to work out all 7 questions, in the future I suggest posting questions separately.

Related to What Are Some Challenging Physics Mechanics Questions?

1. What is the difference between kinematics and dynamics in physics?

Kinematics is the study of motion without considering the forces that cause the motion, while dynamics is the study of motion taking into account the forces that cause it.

2. What is Newton's first law of motion?

Newton's first law states that an object will remain at rest or in uniform motion in a straight line unless acted upon by an external force.

3. How does friction affect motion?

Friction is a force that opposes motion and can either decrease or increase the speed of an object depending on its direction. It also causes objects to come to a stop and prevents them from sliding indefinitely.

4. How do you calculate acceleration?

Acceleration is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. It is represented by the formula a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

5. What is the difference between distance and displacement?

Distance is the actual length of the path traveled by an object, while displacement is the straight line distance from the starting point to the ending point of an object's motion. Displacement takes into account both the distance and direction of an object's motion.