What Are Recommended Calculus Books for Self-Study?

In summary: This is done by multiplying the top and bottom by the conjugate of the denominator, x+h. This gives us:\frac{d}{dx}\left(x^{x}\right) = \text{lim}_{h\rightarrow0} \frac{\left(x+h\right)^{x+h} - x^{x}}{h}Now, we can use the power rule to simplify the expression:\frac{d}{dx}\left(x^{x}\right) = \text{lim}_{h\rightarrow0} \frac{\left(x+h\right)^{x} \cdot \left(x+h\right)^{h} - x^{x}}{h}Applying the chain rule, we get:\
Ben09
I'm a college student needing to take calculus 2 this fall. However, I have not taken calc 1, so since I'm good at teaching myself I'm planning on giving myself a crash course in the material covered in calc 1 over this summer. Can anyone recommend a good calculus book for someone who's fairly good at math but has limited experience with calc? Thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hm.. It's going to be pretty hard for you to excel in calc II without taking calc I, frankly, I'm not sure how you even got enrolled into a calc II class without having calc I under your belt, but it's not my business.

There's a book called the calculus life saver, which may be of interest to you. Hope this helps.

PROTIP:
Rules for differentiation:
  1. derivative of a constant
    In general, if [itex]f(.)[/itex] does not depend explicitly on some variable, say [itex]x[/itex] it's derivative is zero:
    [tex]
    \frac{d}{d x}\left(C\right) = 0
    [/tex]
  2. derivative with respect to the argument:
    [tex]
    \frac{d x}{d x} = 1
    [/tex]
  3. rule of sums
    [tex]
    \frac{d}{d x}\left[ f(x) + g(x) \right] = \frac{d f(x)}{dx} + \frac{d g(x)}{dx}
    [/tex]
  4. product tule
    [tex]
    \frac{d}{d x}\left[ f(x) \cdot g(x) \right] = \frac{d f(x)}{dx} \cdot g(x) + f(x) \cdot \frac{d g(x)}{dx}
    [/tex]
  5. chain rule
    [tex]
    \frac{d}{d x} \left( f[g(x)] \right) = \left. \frac{d f(u)}{du} \right|_{u = g(x)} \cdot \frac{d g(x)}{d x}
    [/tex]
  6. derivative of the exponential function
    [tex]
    \frac{d \exp(x)}{dx} = \exp(x)
    [/tex]

Using the above, see if you can derive the following:
  1. Quotient rule
    [tex]
    \frac{d}{d x}\left( \frac{f(x)}{g(x)}\right) = \frac{f'(x) \, g(x) - f(x) \, g'(x)}{[g(x)]^{2}}
    [/tex]
  2. Derivative of a power function:
    [tex]
    \frac{d}{d x}\left( x^{\alpha} \right) = \alpha \, x^{\alpha - 1}, \ \alpha \in \mathbf{R}
    [/tex]
  3. Derivative of an inverse function
    [tex]
    y = f(x) \Rightarrow x = f^{-1}(y)
    [/tex]

[tex]
    f[f^{-1}(x)] = x
    [/tex]

[tex]
    \frac{d}{d x}\left( f^{-1}(x) \right) = \frac{1}{f'[f^{-1}(x)]}
    [/tex]
  4. Derivative of a logarithm
    [tex]
    (\log_{a} {x})' = \frac{1}{x \, \ln{a}}
    [/tex]
  5. Derivative of trigonometric functions
    Using Euler's identity:
    [tex]
    e^{\textup{i} \, x} = \cos{x} + \textup{i} \, \sin{x}
    [/tex]

and taking the real and imaginary part of the derivative, prove:
    [tex]
    \begin{array}{l}
    (\cos{x})' = -\sin{x} \\

(\sin{x})' = \cos{x}
    \end{array}
    [/tex]
  6. Find the derivative of
    [tex]
    x^{x}
    [/tex]

Last edited:
Shouldn't you include the definition of a derivative before introducing the rules for it? Just a thought...

[tex]\frac{d f\left(x\right)}{dx}= \text{lim}_{h\rightarrow0} \frac{f\left(x+h\right)-f\left(x\right)}{h}[/tex]

To solve it, you first have to eliminate h from the denominator.

I would highly recommend that you take the time to properly learn the material covered in calculus 1 rather than trying to rush through it with a crash course. Calculus is a fundamental and complex subject, and trying to teach yourself the material in a short amount of time may not provide a solid foundation for calculus 2.

That being said, if you are determined to teach yourself calculus 1 over the summer, I suggest finding a book that has a clear and concise explanation of the concepts and plenty of practice problems. Some popular calculus books for self-study include "Calculus: Early Transcendentals" by James Stewart, "Calculus" by Michael Spivak, and "Calculus" by Ron Larson and Bruce Edwards.

However, I would also recommend seeking additional resources such as online lectures, practice exams, and tutoring services to supplement your self-study. It is important to have a thorough understanding of the material in order to succeed in calculus 2 and beyond. Good luck in your studies!

Related to What Are Recommended Calculus Books for Self-Study?

1. What is Calculus?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of change and motion. It is used to analyze and understand the behavior of continuously changing quantities, such as velocity, acceleration, and area under a curve.

2. Why is Calculus important?

Calculus is important because it has numerous applications in various fields, including physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. It provides a powerful tool for solving problems involving rates of change and optimization.

3. What are the two main branches of Calculus?

The two main branches of Calculus are differential calculus and integral calculus. Differential calculus deals with the study of rates of change and slopes of curves, while integral calculus deals with the accumulation of quantities and the calculation of areas under curves.

4. What topics are typically covered in a Calculus crash course?

A Calculus crash course usually covers the basic concepts of limits, derivatives, and integrals, as well as their applications in optimization, related rates, and area/volume calculations. It may also include an introduction to multivariable calculus and differential equations.

5. Is Calculus difficult to learn?

Calculus can be challenging for some people, but with proper instruction and practice, it can be mastered. It requires a strong foundation in algebra and other mathematical concepts, as well as patience and persistence. A Calculus crash course can provide a quick and intensive introduction to the subject for those who need to learn it in a short period of time.