What Are Reasons for "Breakthrough Infections" of COVID?

• Thread starter kyphysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Covid
In summary, there are various reasons why vaccines may not fully protect against infection, aside from individuals who take immunosuppressants. Other factors that may contribute to reduced vaccine effectiveness include certain medications that interfere with the immune response, medical conditions such as cancer or HIV, and advanced age. Additionally, vaccines are not always 100% effective and this is considered normal. The level of protection also depends on the number of virus particles and antibodies present in the body.
kyphysics
I know even the best vaccines aren't 100% effective at preventing infections and there are lots of people who take immunosuppressants whose immune systems don't mount the proper response to the COVID vaccines. Other than these specific folks, I'm wondering what other reasons there might be for vaccines not protecting against infection?

Might it be that a fully vaccinated person is taking some meds that (unbeknownst to them) interfere with the intended immune response from the vaccine? Might some medical condition, such as cancer or HIV do the same? Does very old age just lead to much "slower" and/or malfunctioning immune responses that don't let the vaccines work optimally in such people?

Just a curiosity I have and haven't read anything on it, so wondering if others may have and don't mind sharing. :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
The mRNA vaccines are unusually effective. Flu vaccines vary between like 30% and 80% and I don't think I'd ever heard the term "breakthrough infection" before COVID. Vaccines just aren't ever 100% effective and that's a totally normal thing.

Ultimately it is surely a numbers game: how many initial virus particles vs how many antibodies determines which wins and by how much.

Likes Astronuc, pinball1970, Vanadium 50 and 1 other person

What are "breakthrough infections" of COVID?

Breakthrough infections of COVID refer to cases where fully vaccinated individuals still contract the virus. These infections are considered rare, but can occur due to various factors such as waning immunity or exposure to a new variant.

What are the reasons for "breakthrough infections" of COVID?

There are several reasons for breakthrough infections of COVID, including waning immunity over time, exposure to a new variant, and the possibility of being infected before the full immunity from the vaccine has developed.

Can fully vaccinated individuals still transmit COVID?

While breakthrough infections can occur in fully vaccinated individuals, the risk of transmitting the virus is significantly reduced. However, it is still possible for fully vaccinated individuals to transmit the virus, especially in areas with high levels of community transmission.

What can be done to prevent "breakthrough infections" of COVID?

The best way to prevent breakthrough infections of COVID is to get vaccinated and follow recommended safety measures such as wearing masks and practicing social distancing. Additionally, staying updated on booster shot recommendations and getting them when available can also help prevent breakthrough infections.

How common are "breakthrough infections" of COVID?

Breakthrough infections of COVID are considered rare, with only a small percentage of fully vaccinated individuals experiencing them. However, as more people get vaccinated and new variants emerge, the number of breakthrough infections may increase.