What are quantum fluctuations and how could they have led to human life?

• Thread starter narrator
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hawking
In summary, in a conversation about Hawking's views on the origins of the universe and the role of quantum fluctuations, a novice asks for clarification on what these fluctuations are and how they could lead to the creation of the universe. A helpful commenter provides a link explaining the concept and another commenter raises the question of the origin of these fluctuations. The conversation also touches on Hawking's views on the existence of God, with some commenters noting that while he believes there is no need for a God, he does not outright deny the possibility. Overall, the conversation delves into the complexities of quantum mechanics and its implications for the origins of the universe and the existence of a higher power.
narrator
Novice question.

Reading more of today's http://au.news.yahoo.com/world/a/-/world/9454304/heaven-is-a-fairy-tale-says-physicist-hawking/" , an article on Hawking has this line:

Addressing the question "Why are we here?" he will argue tiny quantum fluctuations in the very early universe sowed the seeds of human life.

Can someone explain what these quantum fluctuations are, and how they could sow such seeds?

Last edited by a moderator:
Space news on Phys.org
yenchin said:

Thanks yenchin, that helped a lot. :)

The thing which had me wondering, reading your link, was that they suggested that without quantum fluctuations, the universe would have remained homogenous. A bit like the old question of, if God created us then who created God, if quantum fluctuations got the ball rolling for the universe, what got the ball rolling for quantum fluctuations?

narrator said:

The thing which had me wondering, reading your link, was that they suggested that without quantum fluctuations, the universe would have remained homogenous. A bit like the old question of, if God created us then who created God, if quantum fluctuations got the ball rolling for the universe, what got the ball rolling for quantum fluctuations?

Yes, that's always the problem. Why did the Universe start in a low entropy condition? Where did the quantum fluctuation come from? I think Hawking thinks it's just a law of nature, others think that dark energy always exists and that increases the likelihood of a fluctuation. At least it comes from somewhere.

But where does the dark energy come from? Well it could be there from an older Universe that has expanded out of existence.

Just so you're clear, Hawking does not claim that God does not exist, he claims that God does not NEED to exist. People who believe in the concept of God can believe that it exists whether it has to or not so there still doesn't need to be any conflict between religion and science.

narrator said:

Quantum fluctuations are a property of physical law. Nothing needs to 'start' them: they simply exist as long as quantum mechanics describes the behavior of our universe.

You might then ask, 'Why these laws instead of some others?' and that it a whole 'nother ballgame. But as long as we accept quantum mechanics, then quantum fluctuations are inevitable.

Also note that while Hawking's views on black holes and quantum gravity are likely to be more well informed than the average person, his views on other topics are no better or worse than yours or mine.

phinds said:
Just so you're clear, Hawking does not claim that God does not exist, he claims that God does not NEED to exist. People who believe in the concept of God can believe that it exists whether it has to or not so there still doesn't need to be any conflict between religion and science.

Excellently worded clarification.

Chalnoth said:
...But as long as we accept quantum mechanics, then quantum fluctuations are inevitable.

Could you suggest a link or some reading? I'd like to understand better the realm of quantum mechanics. (I know, big subject.. lol.) My understanding of it (right or wrong) is basically that it includes string theory, subatomic particles, maybe exotic matter, differences in how energy behaves and some strangely different laws from those of regular physics. Also, I don't know what bits are purely theoretical and how much has been experimentally validated.

Chalnoth said:
Quantum fluctuations are a property of physical law. Nothing needs to 'start' them: they simply exist as long as quantum mechanics describes the behavior of our universe.

Which is why Hawking says there doesn't NEED to be a God, but doesn't say that there isn't one (although I also seem to remember reading that he doesn't believe there is one, but that's where his point of view has no more value than anyone else's.

phinds said:
Which is why Hawking says there doesn't NEED to be a God, but doesn't say that there isn't one (although I also seem to remember reading that he doesn't believe there is one, but that's where his point of view has no more value than anyone else's.
Well, this is where basic probability comes in: if there is no good reason to believe something is true, then chances are it's false. This is because in general, there are far, far more ways for a positive proposition (e.g. X exists) to be false than true.

Chalnoth said:
Well, this is where basic probability comes in: if there is no good reason to believe something is true, then chances are it's false. This is because in general, there are far, far more ways for a positive proposition (e.g. X exists) to be false than true.

I absolutely agree w/ you and think the whole idea of a God is ridiculous anyway, but I try to be fair to Hawking.

phinds said:

Hawking: "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." From the article in my OP.

I think if there is a god, religion doesn't have a handle on it.

twofish-quant said:
Also note that while Hawking's views on black holes and quantum gravity are likely to be more well informed than the average person, his views on other topics are no better or worse than yours or mine.

However this does not mean that Hawking's point about the need for god in the universe's creation isn't valid. I know more than the average person about evolution, if I were to say no god is needed I could easily see people harping "he may know loads about evolution but remember he knows as much about God as the average person!".

narrator said:
Hawking: "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." From the article in my OP..

Thanks ... I was not aware of that and have been mis-representing what he said. Thanks for setting me straight.

I think if there is a god, religion doesn't have a handle on it.
Yep, I agree, although I really don't see the need for one. Religion evolved out of a completely understandable need by early man to get a handle on things like thunder and lightning that seem super-human and had no cause that they could see or understand, so they made up their own and that devolved down to the Spanish Inquisition.

phinds said:
Yep, I agree, although I really don't see the need for one. Religion evolved out of a completely understandable need by early man to get a handle on things like thunder and lightning that seem super-human and had no cause that they could see or understand, so they made up their own and that devolved down to the Spanish Inquisition.

In addition to this I would say that the concepts of God come out of an anthropomorphizing/animal-morphizing of nature. Human society is centered around intelligence and intention and so people tried to apply that to nature.

Imagine I am a soldier and I want to shoot an enemy. In order for me to shoot I have to ask permission from the soldier behind me to shoot, but he has also has to ask permission from the soldier behind him to shoot, now imagine this continued forever, in other words an infinite amount of time? Will I ever shoot the enemy? The answers is plain obvious. In the same light an infinite regress of causes for the universe would mean there would be no universe in existence in the first place.

Anyone mind pointing out to a layman the flaw in the above argument?

Metrocles said:
Anyone mind pointing out to a layman the flaw in the above argument?

WHAT arguement? It hypothesizes a silly chain and conflates it to the creation of the universe. Who said there was an infinite chain of cause for the creation of the U? No one here, I'm sure.

This thread is not about the science of cosmology. The thread is now closed.

Related to What are quantum fluctuations and how could they have led to human life?

1. What was Stephen Hawking's theory on the purpose of our existence?

Stephen Hawking believed that the purpose of our existence is to gain a deeper understanding of the universe and the laws that govern it. He believed that through scientific inquiry and exploration, we can discover our place in the cosmos and better understand our origins.

2. Did Hawking believe in a higher power or creator?

No, Hawking did not believe in a traditional higher power or creator. He argued that the laws of physics can explain the existence of the universe without the need for a divine being.

3. How did Hawking's ideas about the purpose of our existence differ from other scientists?

Hawking's ideas were unique in that he believed that our purpose is not predetermined or governed by a higher power, but rather it is up to us to discover and define it through scientific exploration.

4. What were some of the key factors that influenced Hawking's theories?

Hawking's theories were influenced by his study of cosmology, quantum mechanics, and general relativity. He also drew inspiration from philosophers and scientists such as Albert Einstein and Isaac Newton.

5. Did Hawking's theories on the purpose of our existence change over time?

Hawking's theories on the purpose of our existence evolved throughout his lifetime as he continued to research and study the universe. However, his core belief that our purpose is to understand the universe and our place in it remained consistent.