What Are Oxidation States & Why Do They Work?

In summary, the antique dagger appears to have been rusting for a long time and it is hard to determine its age based off of the amount of rust.
Cheman
Oxidation States...

I have read that the "idea of oxidation states is contrived." Why then do we use the idea and why does it work if it is not really the case? Why should we suppose everything acts like its ionic, etc?

Thanks. :smile:

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Cheman said:
I have read that the "idea of oxidation states is contrived." Why then do we use the idea and why does it work if it is not really the case? Why should we suppose everything acts like its ionic, etc?
I am not sure but I think it means that the compound Cupper Sulphate can have different oxidation states depending on the valency of copper.

Oxidation states is onyl related (as far as I know) to ionic bonding so the idea is not used (again, as far as I know) for covalent bonding.

The Bob (2004 ©)

Question:If the idea of oxydation states (oxydation numbers,as i know of it,acronym ON) is flawed,how would you explain REDOX rections in general chemistry...??

Daniel.

Cheman said:

Thanks. :smile:

It works because :
(1) Molecules are electrically neutral, no matter whether they are covalent or ionic,
(2) Charge is conserved in a reaction, irrespective of the nature of the constituents.

Can i ask you guys somting

You guys know a lot about rust... so can you help me with a little problom.I have a antique dagger, can i tell its age,but the about of rusting...and it was inside,and dry for most of its age lenght. and if you guys can determan about how old it is then ill send you some pictures of it.thanks! :biggrin:

Related to What Are Oxidation States & Why Do They Work?

What are oxidation states?

Oxidation states, also known as oxidation numbers, are a measure of the electron distribution in a compound or molecule. They indicate the charge that an atom would have if all of its bonds were 100% ionic.

Why do oxidation states work?

Oxidation states work because they help us understand the distribution of electrons in a molecule or compound. They allow us to determine how many electrons have been lost or gained by an atom, which can help us predict its reactivity and chemical behavior.

How do you determine the oxidation state of an element?

The oxidation state of an element can be determined by looking at its position on the periodic table, as well as the number of valence electrons it has. In general, elements in the same group or column will have the same oxidation state.

What is the difference between oxidation states and formal charges?

Oxidation states and formal charges are both ways to represent the distribution of electrons in a molecule or compound. However, formal charges take into account all of the valence electrons in an atom, while oxidation states only consider the bonding electrons. Additionally, formal charges can be fractional, while oxidation states are always whole numbers.

Why are oxidation states important in chemistry?

Oxidation states are important in chemistry because they help us understand the reactivity and behavior of elements and compounds. They also play a crucial role in balancing redox reactions and predicting the products of chemical reactions. Additionally, they are used in naming and classifying compounds.