What are electromagnetic waves

In summary, electromagnetic waves are disturbances in the electromagnetic field. They do not require any medium to propagate in. Who has told you that waves are necessarily disturbances of a medium? Of course, there are such waves, but electromagnetic waves are not such waves.
Aafia
I am confusing about it that what are electromagnetic field books said that it does not require medium then how they propagate in vacuum and we also know that waves are disturbance through a medium

Physics news on Phys.org
Electromagnetic waves are disturbances in the electromagnetic field. They do not require any medium to propagate in. Who has told you that waves are necessarily disturbances of a medium? Of course, there are such waves, but electromagnetic waves are not such waves.

can you explain how electric field produced in electromagnetic wave

Last edited:
Atoms or electrons can be involved in producing EM fields, but they are not necessary. The behavior of EM fields is governed by Maxwell's equations, and Maxwell's equations have vacuum solutions, meaning that they can exist even without charges.

I read in my book that changing in electric field produce magnetic field which are perpendicular to each other and these fields are perpendicular to the propagation of waves ... sorry my english is not correct .. are you understanding my question

Yes, that is correct in a broad sense. There are, of course, some important details. Do you mind if I ask how much math background you have? Specifically, how much calculus do you know?

About what ??

Orodruin said:
Electromagnetic waves are disturbances in the electromagnetic field. They do not require any medium to propagate in.

I would say that the electromagnetic field itself is the medium that they propagate in. When we talk about water waves propagating through water, we don't feel the need to invoke some other medium, do we? :oldsmile:

Then can you explain briefly and easily what are they? To clear the concept abou EM waves :)

jtbell said:
I would say that the electromagnetic field itself is the medium that they propagate in. When we talk about water waves propagating through water, we don't feel the need to invoke some other medium, do we? :oldsmile:
To some extent, yes. The reason I do not want to talk in that fashion (in particular with laymen) is that it risks creating a confusion, namely that there is something called "field" that is actually being displaced (as transversal or longitudinal displacement waves in a medium).

Please explain EM waves

Aafia said:
About what ??
Do you know how to take derivatives or integrals? Are you familiar with differential equations, or vectors, or partial differential equations?

Yeah little bit know

OK, so electromagnetic fields are governed by Maxwell's equations:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maxwell's_equations#Conventional_formulation_in_SI_units
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/maxeq.html#c3

If you do not have any charges or media (vacuum) then Maxwell's equations still apply, and in fact they simplify considerably:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maxwel...s.2C_electromagnetic_waves_and_speed_of_light

Two of those simplified forms of Faraday's law and Ampere's law basically say that if a B field is changing in time then there is an E field which is changing (curl) in space, and vice versa. Putting those two together gives (with the help of some vector identities) the wave equation. Meaning that the E and B field together can form a wave in vacuum.

Related to What are electromagnetic waves

1. What are electromagnetic waves?

Electromagnetic waves are a type of energy that can travel through space. They are created by the movement of electrically charged particles and are composed of both electric and magnetic fields.

2. How do electromagnetic waves differ from other types of waves?

Unlike mechanical waves, such as sound waves, electromagnetic waves do not require a medium to travel through. They can also travel at the speed of light and have a wide range of frequencies and wavelengths.

3. What are the different types of electromagnetic waves?

The electromagnetic spectrum includes radio waves, microwaves, infrared, visible light, ultraviolet, X-rays, and gamma rays. Each type of wave has a different frequency and wavelength, and they are used for various purposes, including communication, heating, and medical imaging.

4. How are electromagnetic waves produced?

Electromagnetic waves are produced when an electrically charged particle, such as an electron, vibrates or accelerates. This movement creates a disturbance in the electric and magnetic fields, resulting in the emission of energy in the form of electromagnetic waves.

5. What are the practical applications of electromagnetic waves?

Electromagnetic waves have a wide range of practical applications in our daily lives. They are used for communication, including radio and television signals, as well as for cooking and heating in microwave ovens. They are also used in medical imaging, such as X-rays and MRI scans, and in technologies like GPS and radar.