What Are Control and Signal Regions in Particle Physics Experiments?

In summary, the speaker is struggling to understand certain technical terms mentioned in an article they are reading about the search for squarks and gluinos. They are specifically seeking clarification on the purpose of control and signal regions, the difference between true and fake missing transverse energy, the concept of Monte Carlo simulation, the reversed delta phi cut, the jet response function, seed events and smearing, jet triggers, pseudo-data, and various "cut" parameters such as etmiss and pt leading jet. They hope for a response from an experimental physicist to better explain these concepts.
sandiego137
I am recently reading the articles "Search for squarks and gluinos using final states with jets and missing transverse momentum with the ATLAS detector in sqrt s=7 TeV proton-proton collisions". However, as my limited knowledge, many technical terms that I am understanding as a result I am now struggling with it. By the way, I am second year undergraduate.

I will so appreciate if someone can help me to explain the following:
-what is the purpose of 'control region' and 'signal region'? e.g QCD control region.
-true/fake missing transverse energy.
-Monte Carlo simulation, I often came across the term' QCD Monte Carlo'.
-reversed delta phi cut.
-(jet)response function.
-seed events, smearing. eg. smeared the seed events.(really need explain for this)
-(jet)triggers.
-pseudo-data
-pt balance
-and finally, 'cut' etmiss cut, pt leading jet cut, etc...

I am not very good in English. Hope someone can help me, Thankssss!

Physics news on Phys.org
It would be better if a real experimental physicist answered your question. However, I do at least speak English, so...
sandiego137 said:
-what is the purpose of 'control region' and 'signal region'? e.g QCD control region.
These might be regions of experimental parameter space. Observations in the signal region would be directly testing the hypothesis, observations in the control region might be controls in the sense of experimental design.
-true/fake missing transverse energy.
"Fake" = wrong, wrongly reconstructed.
-Monte Carlo simulation, I often came across the term' QCD Monte Carlo'.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monte_Carlo_method#Physical_sciences"
-reversed delta phi cut.
A cut https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=284486#2" a method of choosing which observations to keep and which to discard. phi might be the angle between jets, delta phi the change in phi. I don't know what the reverse delta phi cut is and couldn't find that phrase in the paper.
-(jet)response function.
A response function describes how one thing responds to another. So this describes how some property of the jet changes in response to another variable.
-seed events, smearing. eg. smeared the seed events.(really need explain for this)
I think seed events are sample observations used to set phenomenological parameters in the Monte Carlo simulation. Smearing http://plhc2010.desy.de/e43826/e89919/e89941/PLHC2010_poster_Owen.pdf" it's a correction to the raw data from the seed events.
-(jet)triggers.
The trigger is http://aliceinfo.cern.ch/Public/en/Chapter2/Chap2_HLT.html" the neural network which decides whether a particular observation gets recorded.
-pseudo-data
Simulated experimental data (not from real experiments), used to test the information-processing system.
-pt balance
p is momentum, p_T is transverse momentum, p_T balance is probably a measure of how lopsided p_T is.
-and finally, 'cut' etmiss cut, pt leading jet cut, etc...
Explained above.

P.S. For curious readers, http://arxiv.org/abs/1102.5290" .

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to What Are Control and Signal Regions in Particle Physics Experiments?

What is SUSY?

SUSY stands for Supersymmetry, which is a theoretical concept in physics that proposes the existence of a symmetry between particles with different spin, such as fermions and bosons.

Why is SUSY important?

SUSY is important because it provides a potential solution to some of the unanswered questions in particle physics, such as the hierarchy problem and the nature of dark matter.

How does SUSY work?

SUSY predicts that for every known particle in the Standard Model, there exists a corresponding superpartner particle with a different spin. These superpartners have not yet been observed, but their existence would balance out the properties of the known particles and help explain some of the observed phenomena in the universe.

What evidence do we have for SUSY?

Currently, there is no direct evidence for SUSY. However, the theory has been supported by mathematical and theoretical arguments, and experiments at the Large Hadron Collider have not yet ruled out the possibility of superpartner particles.

Are there different types of SUSY?

Yes, there are different types of SUSY, such as Minimal Supersymmetric Standard Model (MSSM) and Next-to-Minimal Supersymmetric Standard Model (NMSSM). Each type has its own specific predictions and implications for particle physics.