What Are Branes? - Exploring String Theory

• Thread starter Willis666
  • Start date
In summary, string theory states that matter is made of tiny vibrating bands of energy, and branes are the generalization of strings to more than one strand. They are the favorite food of 12D zombies xD
Willis666
I just finished reading a book, and there was a section in it about string theory (Fabric of the Cosmos, by Brian Greene) And it talked a bit about branes, but I never really figured out what exactly they were (i thought I did when I read about it.) So, when someone asked me today what string theory was, I just told them it basically states that matter is made of tiny vibrating bands of energy, and when he asked me what branes were, I told him I was completely sure.

Physics news on Phys.org
They are the favorite food of 12D zombies xD

If you're comfortable with what strings are - branes are the generalization of strings to more than one strand. It's like the strings are the thread and the brane is the cloth.

There are many types of Branes p-branes , D-branes , M-branes . D-branes are extended objects where the boundry of open strings end

Thanks!

Check in the book Index:

for example, From FABRIC OF THE COSMOS: p385
I found:

The M framework...does contain ingredient besides (one dimensional) strings...there are objects with p spatial dimensions...where p can be any whole number less than 10...p branes a are significantly heavier than strings

Also, try reading the book again...maybe taking some key notes...I've been through most of it three times or so and gain a new perspective every time.

You can get other perspectives here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Branes

Also check out Brane cosmology...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brane_cosmology

In aggregate, you'll find forces and particles live as strings, most strings live between branes, and branes live within the higher dimensional "bulk".

And for a step way beyond see here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyclic_Universe#The_Steinhardt.E2.80.93Turok_model

These guys have a fascinating book: THE ENDLESS UNIVERSE that describes their model for laymen without heavy math...From what I recall, there seems to be some inaccuracies in the Wikipedia article...I can't find my copy of their book to compare.

Last edited:
Very likely the best possible answer to the question that doesn't require detailed string theory knowledge can be found here.

Long story short, D-branes are just an emergent phenomena that are shown to arise from the interaction of open strings. Open strings end on them, with Dirichlet boundary conditions, hence the name. (Dont worry about what that means if you don't know)

(I took the liberty of answering the question for D-branes which are what "branes" most often refers to, but as others were saying there are other meanings of the word too)

Related to What Are Branes? - Exploring String Theory

What are branes?

Branes, short for membranes, are theoretical objects in string theory that represent higher-dimensional spaces in which strings can exist. They are essentially surfaces or boundaries on which strings can either start or end, and they play a crucial role in understanding the behavior of string theory.

How many types of branes are there?

There are two main types of branes in string theory: D-branes and NS-branes. D-branes are objects that can be described by open strings, while NS-branes are objects that can be described by closed strings. These two types of branes interact with each other and play a crucial role in the dynamics of string theory.

What is the significance of branes in string theory?

Branes are important in string theory because they provide a way to incorporate gravity into the theory. They also allow for the existence of higher-dimensional spaces, which can help explain the fundamental forces of nature. Additionally, branes play a key role in the holographic principle, which suggests that our three-dimensional universe may be a projection of a higher-dimensional space.

How are branes different from particles?

Branes and particles are fundamentally different objects in string theory. Particles are zero-dimensional objects described by points in space, while branes are higher-dimensional objects described by surfaces or boundaries. Additionally, particles exist in a fixed number of dimensions, while branes can exist in any number of dimensions.

Can branes be observed or detected?

As branes exist in higher-dimensional spaces, they cannot be directly observed or detected in our three-dimensional world. However, their effects can be indirectly observed through experiments and observations in particle physics and cosmology. Additionally, some theories suggest that branes may be responsible for the formation of black holes, which can potentially be observed through gravitational waves.