What an Expanding Universe Looks Like

In summary, the conversation discusses a quote by Lawrence Krauss about the universe appearing to be expanding from the inside but contracting from the outside. The speaker speculates that this may refer to an alternative explanation of the observed accelerated expansion, known as the big void explanation. However, the simpler explanation is to assign a constant value to Lambda in the standard cosmological model. The speaker also mentions that without a link, they can only speculate about what Krauss was referring to.
FeDeX_LaTeX
Gold Member
Hello;

Please forgive me if this is a silly question, or if it's been answered before. I have tried googling this, but I can't find the information I need, I've probably overlooked it, but I can't find it.

I recall a quotation by Lawrence Krauss who said in a talk that "from the inside, the universe would look like it was expanding, but from the outside, it would look like it was contracting". Can somebody please explain this? I will try to find the video in which this was said.

Thanks.

Space news on Phys.org
Without a link I can only speculate. It sounds to me as if he is talking about an alternative explanation of the observed accelerated expansion that was put forward by David Wiltshire but did not catch on with the community. The idea has some problems since it depends on our galaxy being in a somewhat special location and on the universe having uneven density in a special way. But that said the idea makes sense on a certain level.

Call it the big void explanation. Suppose we are in the middle of a huge region of below average density. Then the galaxies around us would be attracted away by the outer region of higher density. So they would accelerate away.

This accelerated expansion is what has been inferred from observation. The simpler explanation is just to assign a small positive value to a constant called Lambda which appears in the Einstein equation that standard cosmology is based on.

However I am not sure that Wiltshire's void idea was what Larry Krauss was talking about on that occasion. This is only my best guess.

Related to What an Expanding Universe Looks Like

1. What is an expanding universe?

An expanding universe is a theory that suggests the universe is constantly growing and getting larger, rather than staying the same size. This expansion is thought to be caused by the Big Bang, an event that occurred approximately 13.8 billion years ago.

2. How do we know the universe is expanding?

Scientists have observed that distant galaxies are moving away from us at increasing speeds, which indicates that the universe is expanding. This is also supported by the discovery of cosmic microwave background radiation, which is believed to be leftover radiation from the Big Bang.

3. What does an expanding universe look like?

An expanding universe does not have a specific appearance, as it is constantly changing and evolving. However, scientists have created simulations and models that show the overall structure and movement of a constantly expanding universe.

4. Is the entire universe expanding?

Yes, the expansion of the universe is believed to be happening in all directions. This means that all galaxies, stars, and other celestial bodies are moving away from each other.

5. Will the universe continue to expand forever?

There is no consensus among scientists about the ultimate fate of the universe. Some theories suggest that the expansion will continue indefinitely, while others propose that the expansion may eventually slow down and reverse, leading to a "Big Crunch" where the universe collapses in on itself.