What Am I Missing in the Chain Rule Calculation?

In summary, the Chain Rule was used to find the partial derivatives of u with respect to x and y, resulting in the expressions u_x = 2xv_t + 2yv_s and u_{xx} = 4x^2v_{tt} + 2v_t + 4y^2v_{ss}. The 8xyv_{ts} term was not included in the final expression for u_{xx}.
yungman
[tex]\hbox { Let }\; u(x,y)=v(x^2-y^2,2xy) \;\hbox { and let }\; t=x^2-y^2,\;s=2xy[/tex]

[tex]u_x = 2xv_t \;+\; 2yv_s[/tex]

[tex]u_{xx} = 2v_t + 4x^2 v_{tt} + 8xyv_{ts} + 4y^2 v_{ss}[/tex]

The [itex] u_{yy}[/itex] can be done the same way and is not shown here.

According to Chain Rule:

[tex]u_x = \frac{\partial v}{\partial x} \;=\; \frac{\partial v}{\partial t}\frac{\partial t}{\partial x} \;+\; \frac{\partial v}{\partial s}\frac{\partial s}{\partial x} \;=\; 2x\frac{\partial v}{\partial t} \;+\; 2y\frac{\partial v}{\partial s} [/tex]

[tex] u_{xx} = \frac{\partial^2 v}{\partial x^2} = \frac{\partial}{\partial x}[2x\frac{\partial v}{\partial t} \;+\; 2y\frac{\partial v}{\partial s}] = 4x^2\frac{\partial^2 v}{\partial t^2} \;+\; 2\frac{\partial v}{\partial t} \;+\; 4y^2 \frac{\partial^2 v}{\partial s^2} [/tex]

Where

[tex] \frac{\partial y}{\partial x} = 0 [/tex]

Please tell me what I am doing wrong? How do I miss [itex]8xyv_{ts}[/itex] term?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial x} \frac{\partial v}{\partial t} = \frac{\partial^2 v}{\partial t^2}\frac{\partial t}{\partial x} + \frac{\partial^2 v}{\partial s \partial t}\frac{\partial s}{\partial x}[/tex]

I see, thanks.

Related to What Am I Missing in the Chain Rule Calculation?

1. What is the chain rule?

The chain rule is a formula used to find the derivative of a composite function, where one function is applied to the output of another function.

2. Why is the chain rule important?

The chain rule is important because it allows us to find the rate of change of complex functions, which are often used in real-world applications. It also helps us understand how changes in one variable can affect another variable in a function.

3. How do you apply the chain rule?

To apply the chain rule, you first need to identify the inner function and the outer function. Then, you can use the formula: (outer function derivative) * (inner function derivative) to find the derivative of the composite function.

4. Can you give an example of the chain rule in action?

One example of the chain rule is finding the derivative of the function f(x) = (x^2 + 3)^4. The inner function is x^2 + 3 and the outer function is raising to the 4th power. Using the chain rule, we can find the derivative as: 4(x^2 + 3)^3 * 2x = 8x(x^2 + 3)^3.

5. Is the chain rule related to the product rule?

Yes, the chain rule is related to the product rule. The product rule is used to find the derivative of a product of two functions, while the chain rule is used to find the derivative of a composite function. Both rules are essential tools for finding derivatives in calculus.