What am I missing here in this difference quotient problem?

In summary, the conversation is about a person trying to understand a mathematical concept involving limits. The lecturer shows a limit as delta x approaches zero and the highlighted delta x becomes very small. The person is confused about why the delta x is dropped in the final expression and asks for insight. The expert explains that this is the concept of a limit and that the delta x is left out because it is so small. The person is advised to review their textbook and fully understand the concept before moving on.
JR Sauerland
Gold Member
I've highlighted the part in yellow I don't understand. He apparently 'drops' Δx in the last line, but doesn't display how. What I do know is that he is taking the limit as Δx→0, or as Delta x approaches zero. I'm simpy missing what he did though to drop the Δx. I mean, I understand he distributed x into the parentheses to get x0 squared, but not how he just dropped the Δx.

Any insight?
YOQR7yN.png

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The work on the chalkboard looks good. The first pair of delta x which the lecturer canceled acted as a factor of 1. The highlighted delta x would become increasingly, vanishingly small and so is taken as near enough to zero. The lecturer has shown the limit of the original expression as delta x approaches zero.(minor edit)

Last edited:
He did not drop anything. He DID do a cross-cancellation of a delta X on top and a delta X on bottom. He even shows lines through them to emphasize this.

If you are asking about the very last bit of "= -1 / (X0) ^ 2 then that is, as he clearly states, a limit as delta X approaches zero.

symbolipoint said:
The highlighted delta x sub zero would become increasingly, vanishingly small and so is taken as near enough to zero. The lecturer has shown the limit of the original expression as delta x sub zero approaches zero.

Does that mean that since delta x is approaching zero, it is just left out because it is so small? I guess I just don't understand at all.

JR Sauerland said:
Does that mean that since delta x is approaching zero, it is just left out because it is so small? I guess I just don't understand at all.
Yes, that is exactly what it means. The concept of the limit is that you see what would happen if it actually GOT to the limiting amount.

JR Sauerland said:
phinds said:
Yes, that is exactly what it means. The concept of the limit is that you see what would happen if it actually GOT to the limiting amount.
Understand that in the shown example, letting delta x become zero does not make the denominator part of the expression undefined.(Reminder: I made a minor edit to my response.)

Um, do you have a textbook or anything? It doesn't seem that you grasp limits at all or what they're supposed to be. If you don't understand things like this, it's silly to move on. You need to go back in your book and read it from the start again until you grasp what a limit is.

Related to What am I missing here in this difference quotient problem?

What is a difference quotient?

A difference quotient is a mathematical expression used to find the slope of a curve at a specific point. It is also known as a secant slope or average rate of change.

How do I find the difference quotient?

To find the difference quotient, you need to calculate the slope of the secant line between two points on a curve. The formula is (f(x+h) - f(x)) / h, where h is the change in x between the two points.

Why is the difference quotient important?

The difference quotient is important because it allows us to find the instantaneous rate of change at a point on a curve. This is useful in many real-world applications, such as calculating velocity or acceleration.

What are the common mistakes made when solving a difference quotient?

Some common mistakes include not properly identifying the function f(x), not substituting the correct values for x and h, and errors in simplifying the expression. It is important to pay attention to each step and double-check your calculations.

How can I improve my understanding of difference quotients?

Practice is key to improving your understanding of difference quotients. Work through various examples and try to explain the steps and reasoning behind each one. You can also seek help from a tutor or classmate if you are struggling to grasp the concept.