What allow matter wave propagation?

In summary, the conversation discusses the propagation of waves, specifically matter waves such as those for an electron, and how they differ from other elementary particles like photons. The question of whether a field is necessary for matter waves is also raised.
TheCanadian
If waves require a medium or some kind of force carrier to propagate, how exactly do matter waves propagate?

Physics news on Phys.org
Svein said:

Sorry. I'm just wondering what matter waves (e.g. ## \lambda = \frac {h}{p} ##) for an electron for example are classified as. How is an electron's wave inherently different than the wave represented by a photon or other elementary particle besides producing a different diffraction pattern? Do both waves propagate in any particular field (e.g. EM)? I guess I'm just trying to understand what it means for an electron to have a wave but I was under the assumption it also requires some kind of field, too.

Related to What allow matter wave propagation?

1. What is matter wave propagation?

Matter wave propagation refers to the movement of particles, such as atoms and subatomic particles, through space. These particles can exhibit both wave-like and particle-like behavior, with their motion being described by quantum mechanics.

2. What allows matter waves to propagate?

Matter waves are allowed to propagate due to their wave-particle duality. This means that they have both particle and wave-like properties, allowing them to move through space like a wave.

3. How are matter waves different from other waves?

Matter waves are different from other waves, such as electromagnetic waves, because they are associated with particles and have a wavelength that is determined by the particle's momentum. In contrast, electromagnetic waves are not associated with particles and have a wavelength determined by their frequency.

4. What is the importance of matter wave propagation in quantum mechanics?

The concept of matter wave propagation is crucial in understanding the behavior of particles at the subatomic level, as described by quantum mechanics. It allows scientists to explain phenomena such as particle interference and tunneling, which have important applications in technology and research.

5. Can matter waves propagate in a vacuum?

Yes, matter waves can propagate in a vacuum. In fact, particles such as electrons and protons, which are commonly associated with matter waves, can travel through space without any medium or material to propagate through. This is another unique aspect of quantum mechanics and the behavior of matter waves.