What algebraic property can I use here?

In summary, the conversation discusses solving an equation with two solutions using algebraic techniques other than the quadratic formula. The equation in question is: (x(4+x))/(4-x) = 5. The conversation touches on the use of multiplication and addition rules to solve equations, and suggests using the quadratic formula to obtain the two solutions.
megaboy123

Homework Statement

[/B]
example problem: 5 = [(x)(4+x)] / (4-x)

answer: 5

Homework Equations

Unsure what to use.

3. The Attempt at a Solution

Not sure what my professor did, but I thought that if i multiply by the reciprocal of something, I have to balance by multiplying the other side as well. It seems like everything just canceled out and the only thing left was x = 5. I would just like to know what algebraic property or technique can be used to find x BESIDES quadratic formula.

Physics news on Phys.org
megaboy123 said:
Not sure what my professor did,...
This is the purpose of taking notes in class.
... but I thought that if i multiply by the reciprocal of something, I have to balance by multiplying the other side as well.
Yes.
It seems like everything just canceled out and the only thing left was x = 5.
Do you mean that is your vague recollection of what the prof did or that is what happened when you did it?
I would just like to know what algebraic property or technique can be used to find x BESIDES quadratic formula.
...what's wrong with the usual rules for multiplication and addition?
What was the topic of the class?

Have you tried substituting the stated solution x=5 into the equation to see if it really is the solution?
(I am guessing that "answer:5 means x=5 will make the expression true...)

Last edited:
its for a general chemistry class, everything makes sense (as far as chemistry goes) up until that last step right before the answer. Not sure what you mean by rules for multiplication and addition.

I am guessing that "answer:5" means that putting x=5 into the expression 5=[x(4+x)]/(4-x) will make it true.
Have you tried this to see?

Not sure what you mean by rules for multiplication and addition.
Do you know how to add and how to multiply?

megaboy123 said:
Not sure what you mean by rules for multiplication and addition.
If you add the same quantity to both sides of an equation, the new equation will have the same solutions as the original equation.
If you multiply both sides of an equation by the same nonzero quantity, the new equation will have the same solutions as the original equation.

Likes Simon Bridge
megaboy123 said:

Homework Statement

[/B]
example problem: 5 = [(x)(4+x)] / (4-x)

answer: 5

Homework Equations

Unsure what to use.

3. The Attempt at a Solution

Not sure what my professor did, but I thought that if i multiply by the reciprocal of something, I have to balance by multiplying the other side as well. It seems like everything just canceled out and the only thing left was x = 5. I would just like to know what algebraic property or technique can be used to find x BESIDES quadratic formula.

Are you solving an equation of the form
$$
\frac{x(4+x)}{4-x} = 5 ?
$$
If so, x=5 has nothing to do with it: there are two solutions, which are obtainable from the quadratic solution formula: x ≈ -10.84 and x ≈ 1.84.

Last edited:

Related to What algebraic property can I use here?

1. What is an algebraic property?

An algebraic property is a rule or law that describes how mathematical operations work with numbers and variables. It helps us manipulate and solve equations and expressions.

2. How do I know which algebraic property to use?

The algebraic property you use depends on the specific problem you are trying to solve. You can identify the property by looking at the operations and variables involved in the equation or expression.

3. Can I use more than one algebraic property in a problem?

Yes, you can use multiple algebraic properties in a problem to simplify or solve it. However, it is important to use the properties correctly and in the right order.

4. Are algebraic properties the same as laws of algebra?

Yes, algebraic properties are also known as laws of algebra. These properties are fundamental rules that govern how we manipulate numbers and variables in algebraic expressions and equations.

5. Do algebraic properties only apply to numbers and variables?

No, algebraic properties can also apply to other mathematical objects, such as matrices and functions. They can also be extended to other branches of mathematics, such as geometry and calculus.