What actually an Electric Charge ?

In summary: Charge is a property of particles, not spacetime. So it does not have a geometrical property in spacetime like gravity does according to GR.In summary, electric charge is a fundamental physical property of matter that causes it to experience repulsion or attraction when placed in an electromagnetic field. It is not the same as energy or force, but rather a separate quantity that is additive and can be positive or negative. Charge is a property of particles and does not have a geometrical property in spacetime like gravity does according to general relativity.
aditya ver.2.0
Since schooldays, we have been learning that electric charge is the physical property of matter that causes it to experience a force when placed in an electromagnetic field. But what's actually a charge, energy or force or is it something else??

Physics news on Phys.org
Electric charge is either positive or negative. Due to this physical property of matter , it experiences repulsion or attraction when placed in electromagnetic field.

aditya ver.2.0 said:
Since schooldays, we have been learning that electric charge is the physical property of matter that causes it to experience a force when placed in an electromagnetic field.
Right, and electromagnetic fields are defined by their ability to exert forces on electric charges. Those definitions only make sense together.

aditya ver.2.0 said:
But what's actually a charge, energy or force
No these are different quantities.

aditya ver.2.0 said:
or is it something else??
Yes, a different physical quantity than energy and force.

Sir,
whats actually a charge if its neither energy nor a force

Charge is not energy but force that helps in repulsion & attraction. Due to electrical energy , there is electrical charge.

aditya ver.2.0 said:
Sir,

The basic fact is that we observe that certain particles experience a force when near other particles. In order to describe how they interact, we say that the particles have a "charge" of either positive of negative and that these particles will repel other particles with a like charge or attract particles of an opposite charge.

So "charge" is just something we define particles to have in order to have some way of describing their interaction. There are other such properties, such as mass and spin, so charge isn't unique in this aspect.

aditya ver.2.0 said:
Sir,
As you stated originally, it is a basic property of matter. I checked wiki, my college physics textbook, and my encyclopedia. They all say basically the same thing.

It would be like you asking me, if I ate too many pizzas, and got really fat; "What is fat"?
It's simply a property of mine. Fat, or mass, is also neither energy, nor a force.

Mass is probably a good analogy, as the equations are the same.

Fgravity = G * mearth * mOmCheeto / r2 (ref)
Fcharge = ke * q1 * q2 / r2 (ref)

Though the forces between charges can be either attractive or repulsive, and gravity is only attractive.

Energies and forces are a result of interacting charges, and interacting masses.

ps. Drak, I started this post before you posted, so your mentioning mass did not influence me in my choice of "fat" as an analogy.

aditya ver.2.0 said:
Do you know what energy and force actually are?

Charge is a property of matter. Basic particles have charge, and when you move the particles, the charge moves with it. Charge is additive; you take a bunch of particles and the total charge adds together.

Do these charges have a geometrical property in space-time just as the gravity does according to G.R ?

aditya ver.2.0 said:
Do these charges have a geometrical property in space-time just as the gravity does according to G.R ?

No. GR doesn't explain the geometrical properties of objects, only of spacetime.

Related to What actually an Electric Charge ?

What is an electric charge?

An electric charge is a fundamental property of matter that causes it to experience electromagnetic interactions. It is a physical property of particles that determines how they interact with electric fields.

How is electric charge measured?

Electric charge is measured in units of coulombs (C). One coulomb is equal to the charge of approximately 6.24 x 10^18 protons or electrons.

What are the two types of electric charge?

The two types of electric charge are positive and negative. Positive charge is associated with protons, while negative charge is associated with electrons.

How does electric charge interact with electric fields?

Electric charge interacts with electric fields by either attracting or repelling other charges. Like charges repel each other, while opposite charges attract each other.

Can electric charge be created or destroyed?

No, according to the law of conservation of charge, electric charge cannot be created or destroyed. It can only be transferred from one object to another.