What a world without decoherence would be like

In summary, Robin Blume-Kohout gave a talk on Quantum Knowledge on October 1, discussing topics such as quantum data compression and quantum agents. He argues that the behavior of a system reflects its knowledge and that quantum agents may outperform classical agents in certain situations. This talk is recommended to anyone interested in the quantum-classical borderline of reality, and it resonates with similar ideas in game theory and evolutionary theory.
marcus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Here are the Pirsa video talks by Robin Blume-Kohout:
http://pirsa.org/index.php?p=speaker&name=Robin_Blume-Kohout

I've just seen one talk, that he gave October 1, just a couple of weeks back.
The topic is Quantum Knowledge.
http://pirsa.org/09100089/

What is it. What is quantum data compression. What is a quantum agent.
How can you tell something is a quantum agent.

Robin B-K is good. I have to recommend this talk to just about anybody, at any level, who is interested in the quantum-classical borderline of reality.

Physics news on Phys.org
marcus said:
Here are the Pirsa video talks by Robin Blume-Kohout:
http://pirsa.org/index.php?p=speaker&name=Robin_Blume-Kohout

I've just seen one talk, that he gave October 1, just a couple of weeks back.
The topic is Quantum Knowledge.
http://pirsa.org/09100089/

What is it. What is quantum data compression. What is a quantum agent.
How can you tell something is a quantum agent.

Robin B-K is good. I have to recommend this talk to just about anybody, at any level, who is interested in the quantum-classical borderline of reality.

Thanks Marcus, I just tried to give it a 5 min skim and I partially like what I see. I need to get time to listen to this talk in it's entitry.

I connect particularly to some things he says, for example his behaviouralism suggesting that the action of a system reflects it's knowledge. This is really close to how I envision that you can infere the microstructure of the environment or any other system by observing and restructuring the information. Also the idea that quantum agents (I would call it a quantum inference system) would outperform in certain situations a classical agents also makes excellent sense to me. I see the parallells to game theory where it's been noted several times that quantum games are in a certain way "more efficient", I think of them as beeing "more fit", which is why there is a selection for them in the evolutionary view I have.
But I think the spirit of intent is very similar.

I'll try to read this more properly tonight maybe.

/Fredrik

He does a great job of explaining what a world without decoherence would be like, and how the concept of quantum knowledge helps us understand this hypothetical world.

First, let's define what decoherence is. It is the process by which quantum systems lose their coherence and behave more classically. In other words, it is the mechanism that causes the weird and counterintuitive behavior of quantum systems to disappear and for them to start behaving in a more predictable and understandable manner. Without decoherence, the world would be a very strange place indeed.

In his talk, Blume-Kohout explains how a world without decoherence would be like a "quantum zoo," where all sorts of bizarre quantum phenomena would be on display. For example, particles could be in multiple places at once, objects could be entangled with each other instantaneously, and measurements would not have definite outcomes. It would be a world of pure quantum weirdness.

But how does the concept of quantum knowledge help us understand this world? Blume-Kohout introduces the idea of quantum data compression, which is the process of taking a large amount of quantum information and condensing it into a smaller amount of classical information. This allows us to make sense of the quantum world by reducing the amount of information that we need to process.

He also introduces the concept of a quantum agent, which is an entity that can manipulate and control quantum systems. In a world without decoherence, quantum agents would be able to harness the full power of quantum mechanics and perform tasks that are impossible in our classical world.

So how can we tell if something is a quantum agent? Blume-Kohout suggests that we look for certain characteristics, such as the ability to manipulate and control quantum systems, the ability to perform quantum measurements, and the ability to store and transmit quantum information.

In conclusion, a world without decoherence would be a strange and fascinating place, full of quantum phenomena and possibilities. And by understanding the concept of quantum knowledge and the role of quantum agents, we can start to grasp the potential of this hypothetical world and the mysteries of quantum mechanics.

Related to What a world without decoherence would be like

What is decoherence?

Decoherence is a process in quantum mechanics where a quantum system interacts with its environment, causing it to lose its quantum properties and behave classically. This leads to the emergence of a classical, macroscopic world from the underlying quantum reality.

Why is decoherence important?

Decoherence plays a crucial role in the study of the quantum world, as it explains how quantum systems behave in the classical world we observe. It also helps to resolve the measurement problem in quantum mechanics, by showing how the superposition of states can collapse into a definite state.

What would a world without decoherence be like?

A world without decoherence would be vastly different from the one we know. Quantum effects would be observable on a macroscopic scale, leading to strange and unpredictable phenomena. The concept of a definite reality would also be challenged, as superposition of states would not collapse as easily.

How is decoherence affected by different environments?

The rate of decoherence is dependent on the environment in which a quantum system exists. Factors such as temperature, pressure, and interactions with other particles can all affect the decoherence process. Different environments can also lead to different outcomes, making it a complex and dynamic phenomenon to study.

Can decoherence be controlled or prevented?

Decoherence is a natural and unavoidable process in our world. While it cannot be controlled or prevented, scientists are researching ways to manipulate and use decoherence to their advantage, such as in quantum computing and communication. Understanding decoherence is also crucial in the development of quantum technologies.