What a Shame we can't cite from popular sources

• Thread starter .Scott
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sources
In summary, an article from the UK's Express website claimed that an asteroid named GD37 was on a collision course with Earth, traveling at a speed of 581 trillion mph. However, this information was later corrected to a more realistic speed of 64,000 mph. The author questions how such a massive object could veer off course and whether we would even be able to see it before it struck Earth. The validity of the source is also questioned, as well as the accuracy of the information.
.Scott
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Life would be so much more exciting.
Here's one from UK's www.express.com:
https://www.express.co.uk/news/scie...7-earth-crash-2019-date-nasa-asteroid-tracker

Of course, it's all very sensational - and they do eventually specify exactly how likely this asteroid is to hitting Earth anytime soon (slim). And one wonders how such a huge thing could "veer off course".

But should it hit Earth, it would hit this fast:
And at the point of atmospheric entry, Asteroid GD37 would likely hit the Earth at a velocity of 581 trillion mph (28.65km per second).
It's that 581 trillion mph that really gets ya. How could we even see such a thing before it struck us? How could we even survive its gravity wave while seeing it?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's the Express. Did you expect accuracy?

Likes TachyonLord
And what titles the SUN?

Doomsday on X-Mas!

Generally we accept news sources about real research, such as this.
.Scott said:
It's that 581 trillion mph that really gets ya. How could we even see such a thing before it struck us?
It has apparently been updated to correct that exceptionally bad math; 64,000 mph.
How could we even survive its gravity wave while seeing it?
That question doesn't mean anything that I can discern.

Likes davenn
.Scott said:
It's that 581 trillion mph that really gets ya.

russ_watters said:
It has apparently been updated to correct that exceptionally bad math; 64,000 mph.
Must have been a rounding error...

Of course, as we all know, "journalists" have never been known for their skills in complex calculations such as percentages and ratios.

Likes berkeman and davenn
russ_watters said:
That question doesn't mean anything that I can discern.
If something with positive mass was traveling at 1000c, I am thinking that would be very disruptive to the neighborhood.
I suppose it wouldn't make sense to talk about its rest mass. But my thought was that it would create more of a gravity wave than your average collapsing Black Hole. But perhaps not. If it was the same as a billion tons appearing across the sky for a millisecond and then gone, that would not be a big deal. If it was better modeled as a continuous string of billion ton masses appearing across the sky for a millisecond, that could shake things up a bit.

.Scott said:
If something with positive mass was traveling at 1000c,
I sure hope you're saying all this tongue-in-cheek. o0)

A tachyonic asteroid coming towards us at 1000 times faster than light? Well, we definitely wouldn't see it coming... :confused:

Likes davenn
.Scott said:
If something with positive mass was traveling at 1000c, I am thinking that would be very disruptive to the neighborhood.
Plus think what it would do to all those physics textbooks.

Likes .Scott and davenn
My basic point was simply to provide an example of something that had gotten into the mainstream press that was sensational to the point of deceptive and absurdly inaccurate as well.

What are popular sources and why can't we cite from them?

Popular sources are commonly known as magazines, newspapers, blogs, and social media platforms. They often provide information in a more informal and entertaining manner, making them easily accessible to a wide audience. However, these sources are not considered reliable or credible enough to use in academic or scientific writing. This is because they lack rigorous research and peer-review processes, making the information presented potentially biased or inaccurate.

What is the importance of citing sources in scientific writing?

Citing sources is crucial in scientific writing as it allows readers to trace the origins of ideas and information presented in a paper. It also gives credit to the original authors and shows the extent of research and evidence used to support the arguments and claims in the paper. Additionally, citing sources helps to avoid plagiarism, which is a serious offense in scientific research.

Can we use information from popular sources in our scientific writing?

While popular sources may provide interesting and relevant information, they should not be used as evidence or support in scientific writing. Instead, it is important to use peer-reviewed and reputable sources such as scholarly articles, books, and reports to ensure the accuracy and credibility of the information presented.

What are some alternatives to using popular sources in scientific writing?

One alternative is to use databases and search engines specifically designed for academic research, such as Google Scholar or PubMed. These platforms provide access to a vast collection of peer-reviewed and scholarly sources. Another alternative is to consult with experts in the field or refer to textbooks and reference materials written by reputable authors.

Are there any exceptions to not citing from popular sources in scientific writing?

In some cases, it may be acceptable to use information from popular sources in scientific writing. This can include using quotes or statistics from public figures or using popular sources as examples to support a point. However, it is important to critically evaluate the credibility and relevance of the information before using it in the paper.