Downloading Linux: What You Need to Know

• Thread starter RBS_5
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Linux
In summary, Open source is a system where people share their ideas and work together to create something better.
RBS_5
Hey does anyone know if i can download Linux full version from the net or is it neccesary to buy the CD ? :confused:

Computer science news on Phys.org
The best thing about Open source is it's free. You can download it http://linuxiso.org/

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks a lot ,
do you recommend it?

I honestly don't, unless you want to learn more about your computer.

If you're a total newbie then I suggest picking up a book with the CD on it although that will set you about $ 50 or
try the Knoppix distribution which you can boot from the CD.

but as a newbie redhat would also be good. and RBS 5 i can see that you are new to the opensource community, you will love it. as for me it saves me money.

Thanks a lot guys ..
im starting to love this forum , so helpful. :)

Thanks but I already started downloading redhat =)

Nooooo... Redhat (A.K.A Fedora) sucks. I use it and knoppix. Knoppix is much more user friendly. Redhat does not come with any goodies, like mp3 support, java plug-ins, and Media players, just to name a few. Knoppix is much better. To install some software on Redhat you have to hunt down RPM's which is very easy, but with knoppix all you have to do is type "apt-get install (whatever program)" You can also try it before you install it without any worries. It will run in memory and will not write info on to you hard drive.

I'm a newbie to Linux and am using Red Hat 9.. I like it, and no doubt others prefer different distributions, but it works, it is good, and it was free!

brookstimtimtim said:
Nooooo... Redhat (A.K.A Fedora) sucks. I use it and knoppix. Knoppix is much more user friendly. Redhat does not come with any goodies, like mp3 support, java plug-ins, and Media players, just to name a few. Knoppix is much better. To install some software on Redhat you have to hunt down RPM's which is very easy, but with knoppix all you have to do is type "apt-get install (whatever program)" You can also try it before you install it without any worries. It will run in memory and will not write info on to you hard drive.

everyone has their own opinion and clearly you like the easy way out by using knoppix. knoppix is good but i just recommend it for test-driving linux. Redhat is pretty cool though it is no longer supported.

1. What is Linux and why should I consider downloading it?

Linux is an open-source operating system that is widely used in various fields such as software development, servers, and personal computers. It offers a customizable and secure environment, with a wide range of free software and high compatibility with various hardware. If you value flexibility, control, and community support, Linux is definitely worth considering.

2. How do I download Linux?

There are several ways to download Linux depending on your needs and preferences. You can either download a specific Linux distribution (such as Ubuntu or Fedora) from their official websites, or use a package manager to install it on your current operating system. Another option is to use a live CD or USB to test out Linux before installing it permanently.

3. Is Linux difficult to use?

Linux may have a slight learning curve for those who are used to Windows or macOS, but it is generally user-friendly with a graphical user interface (GUI) similar to other operating systems. There are also plenty of online resources and communities available to help beginners get started.

4. Can I install Linux alongside my current operating system?

Yes, you can dual-boot Linux with your current operating system. This means you can choose which system to boot into when starting up your computer. However, it is important to backup your data and follow a guide to ensure a smooth installation process.

5. Is Linux completely free?

Yes, Linux is free in terms of cost. However, some distributions may offer paid support or enterprise versions with additional features. You can also choose to donate to the developers or contribute to the open-source community in other ways.