Well, this started happening earlier. ataport.sys

• Thread starter Shackleford
  • Start date
In summary: I decided to try reinstalling Windows and it seems to have fixed the problem. Thanks for your input!In summary, the computer was shutting down every couple of minutes and the user tried running different solutions online. The user then decided to try reinstalling Windows and it seems to have fixed the problem.
Shackleford
Well, this started happening earlier. I'll restart the computer. It'll run for about two minutes then this screen shows up. I did the chkdsk earlier, but I don't think it found any errors.

Any ideas?

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n149/camarolt4z28/IMG_20110526_170306.jpg?t=1306447862

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org

the ATA port is your hard drive, so this is could be a real problem. Maybe it's overheating quickly for some reason?

phinds said:
the ATA port is your hard drive, so this is could be a real problem. Maybe it's overheating quickly for some reason?

Well, I was going to vacuum the inside of the case today when this first happened, but I lost my case key! I don't know how or if I can pick the lock.

Well, since it was shutting down every couple of minutes, I had the bright idea of running tdsskiller to see if it could pick something up. Sure enough, it caught some kind of Rootkit malware. Fortunately, I was able to start the scan just in time and have it remedy the problem on a restart. The computer has been up and running since then. It appears that was the issue?

Hi there, i just registered to say THANK YOU!

All day long i had the same problem as you and googled my *** off to find a solution, i found hundreds of people describing the same troubles in (tech)forums but all they got were replies like "google your problem", "reinstall windows" and "install this obscure tool from this website that requires you to create a bootdisk", nobody even seemed to have an idea what the original problem was.

Anyways i used this Kaspersky tool, found the infection and now its running again, that makes me so happy id be willing to pay you money.

Thank you for being a shining beacon in this sea of uselessness and stupidity that is the internet!

2ane said:
Hi there, i just registered to say THANK YOU!

All day long i had the same problem as you and googled my *** off to find a solution, i found hundreds of people describing the same troubles in (tech)forums but all they got were replies like "google your problem", "reinstall windows" and "install this obscure tool from this website that requires you to create a bootdisk", nobody even seemed to have an idea what the original problem was.

Anyways i used this Kaspersky tool, found the infection and now its running again, that makes me so happy id be willing to pay you money.

Thank you for being a shining beacon in this sea of uselessness and stupidity that is the internet!

Well, I do accept paypal. :P

It seems that in a lot of cases, if there's something wrong, it's malware. I, however, didn't want to hassle with all of those "solutions" online anyway.

Related to Well, this started happening earlier. ataport.sys

1. What is ataport.sys?

Ataport.sys is a system file that is responsible for managing the interactions between the computer's hardware components and the operating system. It is specifically related to the storage devices, such as hard drives and CD/DVD drives, in the computer.

2. Why is ataport.sys causing problems?

Ataport.sys can cause problems if it becomes corrupt or if there is an issue with the hardware it is managing. This can lead to errors or crashes in the operating system.

3. How can I fix ataport.sys errors?

If you are experiencing errors related to ataport.sys, you can try updating your device drivers, running a virus scan, or performing a system restore to a point before the errors started occurring. If these solutions do not work, you may need to replace the hardware that is causing the issue.

4. Is ataport.sys a virus?

No, ataport.sys is not a virus. It is a legitimate system file that is essential for the proper functioning of your computer's storage devices. However, viruses or malware can sometimes disguise themselves as ataport.sys, so it is important to regularly scan your computer for any potential threats.

5. Can I delete ataport.sys?

No, you should not delete ataport.sys. It is a critical system file and deleting it can cause serious issues with your computer's storage devices and overall performance. If you are experiencing problems related to this file, it is best to seek professional help to resolve the issue.