One more question(hopefully) before exam

• Thread starter moooocow
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exam
In summary, a force is applied to a lawn roller in the form of a uniform solid cylinder of raidus R and mass M. The acceleration of the center of mass is 2F/3m. The minimum coefficient of friction neccesary to prevent slipping is F/3mg. If anyone could just give me a quick overview on how to approach these, that would be great. Thanks a lot for any help.
moooocow
Two blocks are connected by a string of negligible mass passing over a pulley of radius .250m and moment of inertia I. The block on the frictionless incline(it has a picture of incline with block 1 on it at theta = 37, and block 2 is hanging off the side by the pulley) is moving up with a constant acceleration of 2 m/s^2. I can find the moment of inertia of the pulley if I have the tensions T1(block 1 before the pulley) and T2(block 2 after the pulley) I am having trouble with 2 things. Why are the tensions different in the two parts of the string and are the tensions just T2 = (m2)a + (m2)g and T1 = (m1)a - (m1)gsin(theta) with a = 2? Because these do not give me the correct tensions, but I am thrown off in the first place by the tensions being different, any help would be VERY appreciated. Thank you very much.

Physics news on Phys.org
And if anyone could help with this one I would be forever in debt to you, hehe.

A constant horizontal force is applied to a lawn roller in the form of a uniform solid cylinder of raidus R and mass M. Show that the acceleration of the center of mass is 2F/3m. the minimum coefficient of friction neccesary to prevent slipping is F/3mg. If anyone could just give me a quick overview on how to approach these, that would be great. Thanks a lot for any help

Where the Force F is acting

F basically splits up and connects on both sides of the roller in the center of the end caps. At first I thought you could use torque to find the angular acceleration and use that to find the center of mass acceleration but my answers are not comming up correct.

How you have applied torque equation if the force is acting at the centre. And is it starting rolling without sliding

Well, that would be why it isn't working, I am not really sure how to go about it, besides the kinetic energy, but I am not sure exactly how that would work with it just rolling horizontally.

i got the answer just wait

Here

Applying the force equation
[tex]
F-f=Ma_{cm}[/tex][tex] //f=\frac{MR^2\alpha}{2}
[/tex]
now as there is rolling without slipping
[tex]a_{cm}=r\alpha [/tex]
solving the above equation
u will get [tex] a_{cm}=\frac{2F}{3M}[/tex]

Last edited:
Where f is frictional force

which will be equal to [tex]\mu Mg=f[/tex]
where f=F/3

Last edited:

1. What is the best way to prepare for an exam?

The best way to prepare for an exam is to start studying early and create a study schedule. Make sure to review all of your notes and materials, and try to simulate exam conditions by taking practice exams. Also, make sure to get enough sleep and eat a healthy breakfast on the day of the exam.

2. How can I manage my time effectively while studying?

To manage your time effectively while studying, try breaking up your study sessions into smaller chunks with short breaks in between. Use a timer or set specific goals for each study session. Make sure to prioritize and focus on the most important topics first, and save less important material for later.

3. What are some good study techniques?

Some good study techniques include creating flashcards, summarizing notes, and creating visual aids such as diagrams or mind maps. It can also be helpful to study with a partner or in a group, as discussing and teaching the material to others can aid in retention.

4. How can I stay motivated while studying?

To stay motivated while studying, it can be helpful to set specific goals and rewards for yourself. For example, you can reward yourself with a break or a small treat after completing a certain amount of studying. It can also be helpful to remind yourself of the bigger picture and the importance of doing well on the exam.

5. What should I do if I feel overwhelmed before an exam?

If you feel overwhelmed before an exam, take a deep breath and try to stay calm. Take a short break to clear your mind and then come back to studying. If necessary, prioritize the most important material and focus on that. Remember to take care of yourself by getting enough rest and eating well.