Equal to a fly's intelligence?

In summary, the idea that computers have the intelligence of a fly is based on a comparison of the number of logic gates in early mainframe computers to the number of neurons in a fly's brain. This comparison was made in the early mainframe era and was based on a naive understanding of the differences between a neuron and a logic gate. However, this idea is not accurate and is now considered to be absurd.
Mentat
I don't know that this is the appropriate forum to post this question. I expect that Monique's judgement will be correct, and that she'll move it if she sees fit.

I just heard someone say that computers have the intelligence of a fly (the insect). I thought this an utterly obsurd idea, but want to make sure. Is there any truth to this? If not, why have people published such lies (apparently he read it somewhere).

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Biology news on Phys.org
This used to be said back in the early mainframe era. I think they just counted the number of logic gates in those early behemoths and compared that count to the number of neurons in a fly's brain. They used to be very naive about comparing a neuron to a logic gate.

Originally posted by selfAdjoint
This used to be said back in the early mainframe era. I think they just counted the number of logic gates in those early behemoths and compared that count to the number of neurons in a fly's brain. They used to be very naive about comparing a neuron to a logic gate.

Thanks, selfAdjoint, that makes sense.

What is "Equal to a fly's intelligence?"

"Equal to a fly's intelligence" is a phrase commonly used to compare the intelligence of a human or other animal to that of a fly. It is often used to describe someone who is perceived as having very low intelligence.

How is the intelligence of a fly measured?

The intelligence of a fly is typically measured by its ability to perform certain tasks, such as finding food, navigating through complex environments, and avoiding predators. It can also be measured by the size and complexity of its brain and nervous system.

Are flies actually intelligent?

There is ongoing debate among scientists about the level of intelligence possessed by flies. While they are not as intelligent as humans, flies are capable of complex behaviors and have been shown to exhibit learning and problem-solving abilities.

How does a fly's intelligence compare to that of other animals?

Flies are generally considered to have lower intelligence compared to other animals, such as primates and dolphins. However, their intelligence is still a subject of study and there is much that is still unknown about their cognitive abilities.

Can a fly's intelligence be improved or enhanced?

There is currently no evidence to suggest that a fly's intelligence can be improved or enhanced. However, some scientists are studying ways to manipulate the fly's genes in order to better understand its intelligence and behavior.