Welcome to the Math Challenge Board

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving proving that two line segments are equal. The problem involves a line passing through point B and intersecting two points, with the goal of proving that the line segments PR and QS are equal. There is some confusion about the restrictions of the problem, but ultimately the conversation leads to two possible solutions, one of which is provided by a user named Opalg.
Albert1
HI : good to see you everybody ,I am a new comer on this board
Being a math teacher ,I always trained my students with various difficult problems
from now on I am going to post a sequential challenging questions for people to share
most of them I know the answer and the solution of it , maybe your solution is quicker and smarter (Yes)
please try it many thanks

here comes the problem :

28l6yj9.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Re: Prove PR=QS

Hi Albert, :)

The second sentence in your question isn't clear to me.

a line passing through point B and intersects two points \(P,\,Q\) with \(O\) and intersects \(R,\, S\) with \(O_1\) and \(O_2\), respectively prove: \(\overline{PR} = \overline{QS}\)

There are infinitely many lines passing though \(B\) and not all of them will have \(PR = QS\). Can you please elaborate a bit more on what you mean by this sentence.

Kind Regards,
Sudharaka.

Can you plot a line passing through point B ,
satisfying the restriction and show that PR and QS are not equal ?

Albert said:
Can you plot a line passing through point B ,
satisfying the restriction and show that PR and QS are not equal ?

I might be missing something here but what is meant by "the restriction"? Do you mean that \(O\) lies on the perpendicular bisector of \(PQ\) ?

Sudharaka said:
I might be missing something here but what is meant by "the restriction"? Do you mean that \(O\) lies on the perpendicular bisector of \(PQ\) ?
yes, that must be

Albert said:
yes, that must be

But in that case there are infinitely many lines as I have claimed above, since for every chord of a circle the perpendicular bisector passes through the center of the circle. Refer >>this<<.

the line passing through point B must also intersect with those of two small circles :
O1,and O2, at point R and S respectively as mentioned before

Albert said:
the line passing through point B must also intersect with those of two small circles :
O1,and O2, at point R and S respectively as mentioned before

I think we are misunderstanding each other. To clarify further I have created this diagram using http://www.geogebra.org/cms/ and drawn two possible lines for \(PQ\).

w1vaep.jpg

where is your points R1,S1 and R2,S2
we want to prove P1R1=Q1S1 , and P2R2=Q2S2

I understand the question now. It seems that for all lines drawn through \(B\), \(PR=QS\). Sorry for the confusion. :)

I haven't found the proof yet, but I am trying... :confused:

geom.jpg
In the diagram, all the angles marked as right angles are angles in a semicircle (and therefore are indeed right angles). The two angles marked $\alpha$ are equal, as are the two angles marked $\beta$ (angles in the same segment). From the triangle $APC$, $AP = AC\cos\alpha$. From the triangle $ARP$, $PR = AP\cos\beta$. So $PR = AC\cos\alpha\cos\beta.$

In the same way, $CQ = AC\cos\beta$ (from triangle $AQC$) and $SQ = CQ\cos\alpha$ (from triangle $CSQ$), and so $SQ = AC\cos\alpha\cos\beta = PR.$

Opalg:very good solution (Yes)

Attachments

• PR=QS.JPG
    PR=QS.JPG
    15.5 KB · Views: 40

Related to Welcome to the Math Challenge Board

What is "Welcome to the Math Challenge Board"?

"Welcome to the Math Challenge Board" is an online platform that offers a variety of math challenges for people of all ages and skill levels. It is designed to help individuals improve their math skills and problem-solving abilities through engaging and interactive challenges.

How does "Welcome to the Math Challenge Board" work?

Users can access the Math Challenge Board through a web browser and sign up for a free account. They can then choose from a variety of challenges, ranging from basic arithmetic to more complex math problems. The challenges are timed and users can track their progress and compete with others on the leaderboard.

Who can use "Welcome to the Math Challenge Board"?

Anyone can use the Math Challenge Board! It is suitable for students, teachers, parents, and anyone looking to sharpen their math skills. There are challenges for all levels, so even those who are not confident in their math abilities can find something that suits them.

Is "Welcome to the Math Challenge Board" free to use?

Yes, "Welcome to the Math Challenge Board" is completely free to use. There is no cost to create an account or access any of the challenges. We believe that everyone should have the opportunity to improve their math skills without any financial barriers.

Can I track my progress on "Welcome to the Math Challenge Board"?

Yes, users can track their progress on the Math Challenge Board through their account. The platform keeps a record of completed challenges, scores, and rankings on the leaderboard. This allows users to see their improvement over time and set goals for future challenges.