Welcome to the Board: Quick Questions on Physics & Chemistry

• Thread starter Purduenub03
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a new member joining a forum and asking two questions about physics problems. The first question involves calculating the frequency at which a space station must rotate to simulate Earth's gravity. The second question involves determining the maximum distance a coin can be placed from the center of a rotating record without slipping off, given the coefficient of static friction.
Purduenub03
First off, I'm new to the board and want to say hi to everyone! I hope i can give and take from this site, i should be helpful in the chem forums, but physics is not my best. I have 2 quick questions if you could help me that'd be great.

A space station is shaped like a ring and rotates to simulate gravity. If the radius of the space station is 120 m, at what frequency must it rotate so that it simulates Earth's gravity? [Hint: The apparent weight of the astronauts must be the same as their weight on Earth.] - in rev/s

I did the following and got it wrong
9.8 = V^2/120, found v = 34.29m/s
34.29 / 2*pi*120 = .045 rev / s

Where have i gone wrong?/

A coin is placed on a record that is rotating at 33.3 rpm. If the coefficient of static friction between the coin and the record is 0.3, how far from the center of the record can the coin be placed without having it slip off?

I'm plain lost on this one.

:frown:

Physics news on Phys.org
Purduenub03 said:
First off, I'm new to the board and want to say hi to everyone! I hope i can give and take from this site, i should be helpful in the chem forums, but physics is not my best. I have 2 quick questions if you could help me that'd be great.

A space station is shaped like a ring and rotates to simulate gravity. If the radius of the space station is 120 m, at what frequency must it rotate so that it simulates Earth's gravity? [Hint: The apparent weight of the astronauts must be the same as their weight on Earth.] - in rev/s

I did the following and got it wrong
9.8 = V^2/120, found v = 34.29m/s
34.29 / 2*pi*120 = .045 rev / s

Where have i gone wrong?/

Unless it's a roundoff problem, I don't see anything wrong. I did it a different way and got 0.0455 rev/ s.

[/quote]A coin is placed on a record that is rotating at 33.3 rpm. If the coefficient of static friction between the coin and the record is 0.3, how far from the center of the record can the coin be placed without having it slip off?

I'm plain lost on this one.[/QUOTE]

Let r be the distance from the center of the record to the coin. Then the acceleration of the coin is r(66.6π)2 so the force necessary to keep it rotating without slipping is rm(66.6π)2 (m is the mass of the coin). The maximum force the record can exert is 0.3 times the weight of the coin: 0.3(9.81)m= 2.943m. Set those equal and solve for r.

Related to Welcome to the Board: Quick Questions on Physics & Chemistry

1. What is the difference between physics and chemistry?

Physics is the study of matter, energy, and their interactions in the natural world. It focuses on understanding fundamental laws and principles that govern the behavior of physical systems. Chemistry, on the other hand, is the study of matter and the changes it undergoes. It deals with the composition, structure, properties, and reactions of substances.

2. How are physics and chemistry related?

Physics and chemistry are closely related as they both deal with the behavior and properties of matter. In fact, many concepts and theories in chemistry have roots in physics. For example, the atomic structure of elements is based on quantum mechanics, a branch of physics. Similarly, the laws of thermodynamics, which govern chemical reactions, are derived from physics.

3. What are some real-world applications of physics and chemistry?

Physics and chemistry have a wide range of real-world applications. For instance, physics is essential in the development of new technologies such as computers, smartphones, and renewable energy sources. Chemistry plays a crucial role in fields like medicine, agriculture, and materials science. It also helps us understand and solve environmental issues, such as pollution and climate change.

4. Can you explain the concept of matter?

Matter is anything that has mass and occupies space. It is made up of tiny particles called atoms, which are the building blocks of all substances. Matter can exist in three states: solid, liquid, and gas. It can also undergo physical and chemical changes, such as melting, freezing, or reacting with other substances.

5. How can physics and chemistry help us understand the universe?

Physics and chemistry are fundamental sciences that help us understand the natural world, including the universe. Through the study of matter and energy, we can explore the origins of the universe, the behavior of celestial bodies, and the laws that govern them. Chemistry also allows us to understand the composition and evolution of stars, planets, and other astronomical objects.